• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how to take off fenders

horseman

How do you take them off? I got the top row then I went to get the 4 that
connect the grill to the fender and thats where it went to s--t I broke the nutplates. Now what should do?

IowaMike

Bronco Guru
I see 2 options:
1) get vise grips on the nutplates and try again after you spray with penetrant 2) use a sawzall to cut the bolts.
Option 2 is quicker but if reusing the fender and/or grill you might end up repairing damage from the saw.

Last edited:

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
i'd try

either a small angle or die grinder (i prefer much more than sawzalls). or a torch.

67bondobronc

I have done the vise grip route and it works but it is a pain. I have also done the sawzall in the gap between the grill and fender and that worked well for me just be careful and dont cut any of the body metal.

Good luck

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I cut my bolts with 4 grinder and very thin cutting wheel. Worked great. Just be very careful to keep the wheel in line with the gap between the fender and grill so you don't cut into them while you are cutting the bolts. Good luck.

ZookBronc

Loc.
South Orange County
I just did mine. I used vise grips...either the regular or the long needle nose ones and lots of patience and wd40. Patience being the operative word.

jbeyer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
new york city
sometimes it just easier to pull the whole front clip, and then do those bolts.

some guys think its also easier to install by putting the clip together and then installing on the bronco. easier to align everthing that way. i havent done that part myself yet, so i cxant really say.

OP
OP
H

horseman

How does rear part of the fender come out It looks like its slid betwen something?

It looks like removeing the whole front clip might be the way to go?

Last edited:

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I just did this, those clips are a pain in the ass. I used vice grips and pb blaster on the clips. The brackets on the bottom of the fender at the front and rear, the brackets were about shot, so I used a grinder and a cut off wheel to disconnect. Also you'll have to soak the three #3 phillips screws with penetrant to get them to even think about budging. I didn't have an impact wrench, but it would have been handy. They were tough.

Any questions pm me.

john

Bronco Wild

Loc.
Nubraska
thesnake said:
I just did this, those clips are a pain in the ass. I used vice grips and pb blaster on the clips. The brackets on the bottom of the fender at the front and rear, the brackets were about shot, so I used a grinder and a cut off wheel to disconnect. Also you'll have to soak the three #3 phillips screws with penetrant to get them to even think about budging. I didn't have an impact wrench, but it would have been handy. They were tough.

Any questions pm me.

john

Exactamundo here as well ;)

OP
OP
H

horseman

Thanks for the help Your write about those 3 phillips screws those things
wont budge! Ive tried my hand held impact driver and got two out 4 to go and there not going to be easy. Ive herd of heating bolts but ive never done it hows it done?

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Just hit them as you take them off with a torch, be careful of your paint and wear gloves and have an extinguisher handy. Without going into detail, I kinda stress the gloves and extinguisher. Oh yeah, and any gas lines, gas tanks or gas cans need to be either capped or moved as the fumes will ignite.

It takes longer but the pb blaster/vice grips is probably the safer mode of removal.

John

OP
OP
H

horseman

Those phillips tip fasteners are not going anywhere! :mad: Im on the verge of striping the head. Please help

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Removing the front clip (fenders and grill):

first remove the bolts that secure the hood latch (I think there are four)

then remove the bolts that run along each side of the fender (I think there are either six or seven of these on each side)

then remove the brackets (actually 1 is a brace at the bottom front of the fender just in front of the wheel well (2 bolts). The other is a brace behind the wheel well (3 bolts)

also remove the three dreaded phillips screws

the last bolts you have to remove are three bolts on the inner fender just behind the core support on each side. You'll probably have to remove the battery tray to get to the ones on the passenger side.

Also you will need to disconnect the park lights

That should be about it. I'll try to post some pics but they should be easy to find.

John

OP
OP
H

horseman

Got'em a liitle heat with a propane torch and a half inch impact gun!
Those philips head screws wouldnt budge with with my 3/8 gun. Its good to have neighbors with tools! :)