• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to tell the difference 170/200 and 250 Six Cylinder?

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Been shopping for double groove pulleys. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between a 170/200 and say the 250 in cars? Does anyone know the casting # for the 170 and the 200 intake manifold? It is located on top of the manifold between the carb and the firewall. It is probably the casting # for both the head and the intake after reading the following posts. The yard interchange says that the harmonic balancers are the same for 170 and 200 for most intermediate cars up to 1976. The double groove pulley is part of the harmonic balancer. The only problems is a 250 (Maverick) is also an option and the combination harmonic balancer/pulley does not interchange with the smaller engines according to the yards data base.

Last edited:

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Somebody else hopefully will add to this but from what I remember the 170 only had 3 or 4 freeze plugs on the side of the block, the first 200's I think were the same but after the first year the 200's had 5 freeze plugs.

The 250 uses the same bell housing pattern as the small block V8.

Hopefully somebody can verify that I have given you good info.

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
The 170 and 200 are almost exactly the same externally. The 170 usually has a smaller diameter intake log, but it is fairly hard to notice unless they are next to each other. Most if not all 200s will have a dip stick in the block. The bronco 170's will have the dip stick in the oil pan, not sure on the car motors.

the 250 is a different creature that I know very little about, but I think one of the most easily noted difference is the removable intake manifold. 170/200 are cast into the head.

HTH

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
the 250 is a different creature that I know very little about, but I think one of the most easily noted difference is the removable intake manifold. 170/200 are cast into the head.

HTH

The 250 intake is casted in to the head as well I would think all the pully would interchange 170/200 are the same block (289/302) The 250 block is the same length but the deck is taller by 1.5/8" I think

Also some of thr newer 200 used a V8 Bell housing too

Brian

twbowhunter

3 freeze plugs=170,5freezeplugs=200 dont go by the dip stick you can put it in the block by removeing a plug ;D and yes the balancer and pullys will swap over, what are you looking for? i have some extra 170 and 200 stuff laying around

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
3 freeze plugs=170,5freezeplugs=200 dont go by the dip stick you can put it in the block by removeing a plug ;D and yes the balancer and pullys will swap over, what are you looking for? i have some extra 170 and 200 stuff laying around

I would check with twbowhunter he is a good guy My neohew got a hood from him at a fair price. If he has it he tell you yes or no.

Brian

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
The 250 intake is casted in to the head as well I would think all the pully would interchange 170/200 are the same block (289/302) The 250 block is the same length but the deck is taller by 1.5/8" I think

Also some of thr newer 200 used a V8 Bell housing too

Brian

Ooopps my bad, like i said I know very little about them

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Most if not all 200s will have a dip stick in the block. The bronco 170's will have the dip stick in the oil pan, not sure on the car motors.

HTH

My Bronco has both dip stick. (can engine with a bronco oil pan) It drives them nuts at walmart when I get an oil change. That and three on the tree. I don't take it there often, just when I need a laugh.

Like said befor 3 freeze plugs is 170. 5 plugs is 200. 250 has a big bell housing and is taller. All the heads are interchangeable.

OP
OP

72Sport

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the help. Looks like 170's and 250's are the more plentiful ones.