• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to use BIG tires without cutting?? is possible?? any idea??

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Big tires without cutting means BIG lift! ;D

You'll get a Bronco that looks cool (well opinions will differ on this!) but will not drive or articulate very well.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Width is the biggest problem. Forget about any of those 12.50 width tires.

WITH flares I have run 33 x 12.50s without a lift. But that does require trimming at all 4 corners.

Lift does not mean more clearance. Interference points are at the front/rear of the wheel opening. Lift gains clearance at the top, not front/rear. And unless the bumpstop is changed for something taller the up travel will still have the same limits. So the fact you didn't mention lifted or not doesn't bother me.

It's been a long time, but I think about a 32 x 9.50 was about as big as you could go. I think that still took a tad of trimming an inner lip here and there as well. Also at that point it was getting to matter what brand and model of tire as well since the dimensions do not run true to the size.

And we are not even to the wheel size either, and offset. Those are huge when dealing with uncut Broncos.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
six lugbolts on a bronco?
34'' x 9 with a 4'' backspacing 3 1/2'' lift and one inch body lift. Thats about it. Yes you can forget about anything wider.

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
265x70x17s with a 4.5" backspacing just barely tucks in with 3 1/2" lift on a 69 LUBR I sold recently. (Orange one in Garage)

Wider tire has to have higher lift.

BigBlueBronco71

Loc.
Santa Maria, CA
How about widening the wheel tubs and using big offset wheels to fit wider tires under there? Anyone ever do this in a bronco, I've seen it done in muscle cars to stuff super wide tires in

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How about widening the wheel tubs and using big offset wheels to fit wider tires under there? Anyone ever do this in a bronco, I've seen it done in muscle cars to stuff super wide tires in

Frame is even with the inner rear fender. Pretty much rules that out. They asked about uncut, what you suggest would involve a whole LOT of cutting.

MyOriginal66

Bronco Guru
275/70's (33.62"x11.10") will fit with 4.75" or 5" of backspacing on a 7" wide wheel. I'm using a 18" wheel and originally had 4.5" of backspacing and the tire touched the inner fender lip. I had to have the wheel re-welded and the face shaved down to get another 1/4" of backspacing. I haven't cycled the suspension yet but it does fit inside the fender on a uncut. I currently have 4.5" of suspension lift and no body lift but I'm dropping it down to a 3.5" with a couple leaves removed to achieve a 3" lift.

Last edited:

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
Yeah, if the reason is to keep the body stock or avoid any additional work wheel tubs are out. But if he's looking for the stock uncut wheel well opening look from the outside & has unlimited funds/time it would be possible. Practical? Probably not. It would be a ton of work.

Not my taste, but an over the top example of what has been done. Article
1303tr_03%2B1968_ford_bronco_wild_horse%2Bfront_three_quarter.jpg

1303tr_08%2B1968_ford_bronco_wild_horse%2Brear_wheel_tubs.jpg

Germd

That pic is from the ICON Bronco, that's why it's a six lug.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
For $150K, you too can have an uncut Bronco with big tires. Heck, for that much dough the exhaust should smell like Chanel #5.;)

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Icon bronco is running narrower dynatrack axles to allow an easier time fitting larger tires. If you look at the wheel track it's pretty narrow but assume easier to find rim/tire combos without having to go custom.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I ran 32x11.5's on my un-cut - I did roll the fenders though. Did some wheeling with it like that too!

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
ICONs are running 285/70/17s. 3.5-4.5" lift I assume. Jonathan said 16s wont clear the brakes hes putting on them.

3.5/1" on mine running 265/75/16 BFG KO2s. No clearance issues but its close, need to roll the fenders. Basically a 32x10.50

20150211_193204_zps94ufxps1.jpg

OP
OP
A

andres

Hey JefeAZ nice bronco so the 285/70/17 icon use will fit in an uncut bronco???

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Yep, the narrow Dynatrac D60 is nice but I'd have to get 5 lug axles if it where mine.;)

ugly74

Bronco abuser
32x11.5s will fit into uncut fenders. I have 2.5 of suspension lift, and the spots where they rub are at the front of the tire. Both front and back tires rub at the front of the tire. Fronts will noisily self clearance, and the rear only hits if you're really cramming it in there.
I almost think that a 12.5 would fit, with some careful calculating of backspace.