• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How wide is the Cleveland 351?

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi maybe someone can answer this question. Dimension at the outside corner of the valve covers? Assuming stock Cleveland covers.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ared77

Contributor
Bronco Guru
found this -

Engine Family LxWxH in inches, without carburetor. Weight in Lbs.

221-260-289-302 29 x 24 x 27.5 460
Boss 302 29 x 24.5 x 28.5 500
335 Series 351 Cleveland 29 x 25.5 x 27.5 550
351 Windsor 29 x 25 x 29 525

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and this from another forum -

#7 • Dec 14, 2008

I come up with 22.5" for the C, and 19.5" for the W, measured from the top of the exhaust port face.

With stock passenger car manifolds, 24" for the C, 23.5" for the W.

Something to keep in mind for header clearance design, is the W has a vertical exhaust face, the C is aiming 45° down. The W will need a larger radius for the downturn, in the C the downturn is part of the head. The Cleveland starts out wider, but with exhaust in place they end up about the same

Last edited:

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My 71 Bronco has a 351C in it. Fits well even without a body lift. I have not started on the project yet for restoration, but I also have a set of Sanderson headers for proper clearance. The frame was previously modified to clear stock manifolds.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
As far as I can tell outside of valve cover to outside of valve cover at a horizontal/level measurement is 22 1/2" at it's widest . At the top of the valve covers it's pretty close to 12 1/2 ".
351 C - 2V heads - factory valve covers.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awesome gents, thank you for the replies and information.
Mark

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Mad, I've been thinking about building a Clevor but the good parts (CHI) are really expensive! Mark

fordfan

Bronco Guru
This is the Cleveland in my Rattler Bronco. It fits in without modification to the frame or sheet metal and is an awesome powerplant. I'm more old school and the new coyotes and stuff doesn't hit my button. A D2 Cobra Jet Cleveland does get me going though!:cool::cool:

Attachments

• Rattler 014.jpg
    Rattler 014.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Rattler 032.jpg
    Rattler 032.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Rattler 029.jpg
    Rattler 029.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Rattler 035.jpg
    Rattler 035.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 78

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
This is the Cleveland in my Rattler Bronco. It fits in without modification to the frame or sheet metal and is an awesome powerplant. I'm more old school and the new coyotes and stuff doesn't hit my button. A D2 Cobra Jet Cleveland does get me going though!:cool::cool:

I never get tired of seeing that! I hope you all are doing well.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is beautiful!!!

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Where did you get the radiator with the flip flopped connections?

fordfan

Bronco Guru
Where did you get the radiator with the flip flopped connections?

The Radiator is a Ron Davis for the 5.0 in a Bronco. It has the top and bottom necks swapped which is perfect for the Cleveland.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
Sweet! I ended up sweating together copper crossovers for my swap. Looks neat, but yours is a cleaner swap for sure

fordfan

Bronco Guru
That is beautiful!!!

Thanks Mark. This Bronco is the most fun Bronco that I have to drive. The Cleveland is lighter than the original 302 (because of the aluminum top end), more than twice the power, and with the toploader, it's ready for whatever mood you're in. It's happy pulling along at 1000 rpm or spinning at 5500... It seems the faster it spins, the harder it pulls. As a bonus, it gets as good of mileage as the 302 or maybe better. I've checked the mileage several times and if you drive it easy and don't drive much over 55 mph, it will get 17.5 mpg.

I recently installed some old school chrome steelies..

Attachments

• Rattler on chrome steelies.JPG
    Rattler on chrome steelies.JPG
    160.1 KB · Views: 36

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
fordfan - My 71 Bronco (Boxwood Green) has the 351C installed. I purchased a Top Loader 4-speed for it about a month ago. I have had this combo before and it is a blast to drive. I look forward to getting it done, although it may be awhile.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
Hey fordfan, beautiful rig, love the color and stance. I'm not a engine guru, but does the Cleveland have more balls than the windsor? I've heard that it does. Also, it sounds like it wasn't too difficult installing one in a early bronco, just haven't seen that many of them in broncos. One last thing, can you put that motor in front of a NV3550? Or a C6 ? ;)

fordfan

Bronco Guru
fordfan - My 71 Bronco (Boxwood Green) has the 351C installed. I purchased a Top Loader 4-speed for it about a month ago. I have had this combo before and it is a blast to drive. I look forward to getting it done, although it may be awhile.

Yes. I'm familiar with your '71 Bronco. I liked it so much it almost came to my ranch.:cool::cool::cool: It's a cool Bronco!

For a mostly street rig, the toploader is my choice behind a Cleveland.

You had ask about the heads on Rattler, they are AFDs made in Australia. In Australia, Clevelands were made many years after they ceased production in the states, so there's a wealth of better equipment for them over there. They were only made three years here which is probably the shortest life of any Ford powerplant that I can think of.

The headers are Sandersons. The heads are the 3V version from AFD (Air Flow Dynamics). Their 4V version is so large that unless you are spinning the engine 7000 plus rpm and over 400 cubic inches, the midrange is completely dead because of the air velocities being so slow.

Attachments

• Rattlers Cleveland 3.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 3.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Rattlers Cleveland 4.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland 4.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Rattlers Cleveland.JPG
    Rattlers Cleveland.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 45
  • Rattler 1.1.JPG
    Rattler 1.1.JPG