• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Howdy All! came out of the fiberglass cave with a question.

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Just finishing a tub and stock hood for a customer who wants to install the windshield hold down loop on the hood. I want to add extra reinforcement and don't have a hood to measure to locate the plate in the right place. Could one of you dictionaries of Bronco knowledge tell me how many inches from the back of the hood to the center of the loop or if you have one and measure it for me?

Its been a hell of a winter. You've all kept me way to busy but out of trouble for sure. The wife says thanks. Me too. Can't wait to get the beast out and leave trails of rust and oil around the countryside with the rest of you.

Rgds, Mike

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Don't know the answer for you Mike, But glad to see you back on the board. I am sure someone will pipe up.

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
Pulling from the back of the hood its 20"3/8 to center of hoop on my 66. I can get a pic if you want.

got-broncos

Bronco Guru
Flash must have messed up pic. It was hard to get to.

Attachments

• hood hoop.jpg
    hood hoop.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 58

Kurt

Loc.
Badger State
Mike - Please go back in the man-cave and make my set of inserts.........;D:eek:;D

Kiddin' bud, I know you have been very busy.

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
This thread shows exactly why you should think before asking

" I don't have the measurement, but it'll be the same distance from the back of the hood as from the w/s hinge to the catch location on the w/s frame (think about it). "

You are right Steve. Duuuhhhh. Too much resin not enough O2. I should have thought of that.

Thanks fellas. The numbers and pics are a big help.

YES KURT, %) you are currently no3 in line for inserts. I have a big order going out and they wanted two sets. Just finished a set today for another guy. Maybe by next weekend I'll have them out of the molds ready for trimming.

Tasker- We're built seven tubs since late fall. I'm a tired dog. I had it figured that it would take about 102 hours to build one. Well, it takes about 160 which I do over a two week period. Basically, I'm working for $8.25 an hour when I build a tub. That is changing I can assure you. The boss lady is not pleased with me providing this level of charity.

No8 is mine unless someone waves money in my face at SC and then I'll keep driving the OD rust bucket a while longer. No9 was sold but is available again, No10 is sold and thats enough for now. I kind of hope its tubs in the winter and parts during the summer. The big tub pieces are hard to layup without the resin going off before they're done unless I turn the a/c way down in the shop and wear two sweatshirts to keep warm. I run the shop at about 60 in the winter which is perfect. Heres some pics of no1, no3 after paint and color match bedliner (flares will be wimbleton white), no5 uncut and no6 cut with flares. Enjoy. Heading back to the cave till Super Celebration.

Rgds to all and thanks again. You guys are the best, Mike

Attachments

• Feb 10 2010 009.JPG
    Feb 10 2010 009.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 63
  • Feb 10 2010 012.JPG
    Feb 10 2010 012.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Feb 10 2010 013.JPG
    Feb 10 2010 013.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 66
  • sony 017.JPG
    sony 017.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 70
  • droid download 005.jpg
    droid download 005.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Mar 13 2011 045.JPG
    Mar 13 2011 045.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Mar 13 2011 029.JPG
    Mar 13 2011 029.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Mar 13 2011 028.JPG
    Mar 13 2011 028.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Beware mold in your respirator!!

tubs look good mike. make sure you keep the respirator clean.

Hey Bro, Up late too? You're right. In fact, I think I'll post the pics as a warning. Half way through the meds.

Hey guys- What Daryl is talking about is if you're wearing the same respirator for months, DISASSEMBLE AND CLEAN IT PERIODICALLY. Mine got mold in it between pieces that I couldn't see until I tore it apart. I got a decent infection in my nasal passages from breathing it. On two kinds of antibiotics right now. Tear those masks down and disinfect them regularly. I'll post the pics. It was gross.

Attachments

• mask mold.jpg
    mask mold.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Mar 26 2011 188.jpg
    Mar 26 2011 188.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Payment for pointing out my stupididity

Ooh! What do I win??? :eek: A fiberglass body? ;D I could use one... :D

You get a two week course in how to build a Bronco. Normally I charge $3500 for the course plus materials used in the "lab" but we'll let the next paying customer pay your bill.........;D

mavereq

Bronco Guru
i'm seriously considering taking some leave and going up there. it would be fun for two weeks... after that it would become work.

yeah i stayed up late to watch the bellator fights on the dish. good fights tonight.

OP
OP
BroncoDesign

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Not sure this place is entertaining enough to warrant using leave for but hey, the more the merrier. You really appreciate a good shower after you've accumulated a good coating of fiberglass for the day. Once spring gets here for real (we still have 6 inches of late snow on the ground) I open the doors and its much more pleasant till summer comes and the air goes on during layups and we're closed in again.

Daryl- I'm on plan "c" with your halfcab. The cardboard was supposed to be double wall and I got there and it was single. Got twice as many pieces but the box looked like an abortion. The super stapler clinched the staples so tight they pulled themselves right through the cardboard. Sent Mel to Home Depot for 1x3 lumber and we're making a crate today. Its like the top doesn't want to leave the shop. The whole reason I created a two piece halfcab was to avoid the freight hassle and send the two pieces UPS in regular boxes but the one piece is stronger, and less labor intensive.

Last edited: