• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hows this for a tow rig?

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Good motor, decent setup, but you'll have to keep a close eye on that tranny. Other than it being UGLY, seems it would be a find tow rig.

J.D.

Now that is awesome:
red1f650.jpg

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Other than the rear fenders being comicly too high, the black one looks cool.

Agree about the slushbox tranny.
Im still looking for a 98 Dodge/Cummins 12 valve with a 5 speed.

99% of them are autos, and hardly anyone besides Toyota can build an auto tranny that will even stand up behind a gas engine.

Besides, having an auto behind a diesel just isnt right.

the van looks horrible, I dont see any advantage over a CC truck.
other than painting it OD green or desert camo, and mounting some funky antennas on it.

swa0330

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Portland,OR
I agree that autos and Diesels are not the coolest. However, if you are serious about that van and you can get it cheap enough, I would throw in a high performance auto behind it with a Triple Lok converter from ATS and it will be fine. There are certainly ways around the weakass auto the Dodge puts behind the Cummins. I simply got rid of my 01 and my 05 has an NV5600. But, sometimes that's not a good choice for some people. I am going to build a 78-79 bronco in a few years with a 5.9 Cummins and an auto, but I am going to build the shit out of the auto before I put it all back together.

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
I've seen a E-350 done similarly, about 20 years ago. The body had been shortened to where it just had room for four captains chairs, and a short box was fitted on the back half. It was unique, but I hate captains chairs.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I searched hi and low for my PSD with the 6 spd. I love it! Just wish I had yet another gear because i do a fair share of interstate driving.

J.D.

OP
OP
R

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
Im still looking , cause the Quad cab half doors were only made for a few months before they changed over to the electronic Cummins, which I wont have either.

I had a computerized Cummins in a Freightliner, what a POS!

SO far, in 4 months Ive found three, 98 QC shortbed 5 speed 4WD 12 valve rams.
All over priced ,)I will reluctantly pay retail, but theres no way Im paying OVER full book retail,) too many miles, have a fishy history like: "I bought it a few weeks/months ago" or too far away, or sold before I called.