• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hunting with my bronco...

greene_bronco

Loc.
conyers, GA
i plan on using my bronco as my hunting rig and was wondering if there was a way to reduce exhaust noise while i'm in the woods. anyone? i like for it to sound mean when i'm toying around or just cruising around town but when i'm hunting? i'm afraid i'll spook every deer within 500 acres!

flint_knapper

BRONCO GOD
Loc.
Harvest, AL
I don't think they will be bothered by it to much.
If they did then the folks who spot light would be
out of business!

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
Damn I was just looking for that link on summit. My friend has some cut offs and they work great...

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
greene_bronco said:
i plan on using my bronco as my hunting rig and was wondering if there was a way to reduce exhaust noise while i'm in the woods.

Funny you should mention this.

I just had my rig done at the exhaust place we have in town and my needs are exactly yours. I leaned a little more to quiet than you want but I got exactly what I wanted. What you need to do is go to a good muffler shop.. Not a chain or a muffler/brake/shocks installation shop and tell them what you want. I did this and I got just that. At low speed/lowrpm you can hear yourself think in my rig but if you play a bit (get a little heavy footed) the bronc growls. The fix in my case was a single exhaust system using large pipes breathing through a round inexpensive truck muffler. Man, the guy knew exactly what I wanted and I got it. Ask around, find a good shop, and tell them what you want. Works for me

TOFIC

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
greene_bronco said:
i plan on using my bronco as my hunting rig and was wondering if there was a way to reduce exhaust noise while i'm in the woods. anyone? i like for it to sound mean when i'm toying around or just cruising around town but when i'm hunting? i'm afraid i'll spook every deer within 500 acres!

Road hunting EH? They listen to log trucks without mufflers, and log loaders and everything else, chain saws too.. If you hunt much , you know that they move only far enough till they feel safe. You know , When you spook one and they go out of site, and you circle around and catch them 200 yards away from where they were when you spooked them, and they are still looking towards where you were standin.
A breaking twig bothers them more;)

OP
OP
G

greene_bronco

Loc.
conyers, GA
no. not road hunting. maybe some guys, but i'd never hunt from the road. i hunt two tracts of land, 500 acres each, nothing but forest and old logging roads and we have stands all over the property. not sure how the other guys in the club would like me coming by them 100 yards from their stand. you're right about them not spooking too far in most cases but i don't like to give the deer any reason to think that today is any different than yesterday when there were no humans within a mile of them... mature bucks aren't stupid.

hackyrat

I am glad to hear your not road hunting. Road hunting makes me :mad:
I use mine for hunting all the time. The critters don't care so much about the noise of your rig, as previously said they hear that all the time. What they care about is the noise after they stop hearing the rig. Don't slam doors, don't talk, don't cough, ect. Those are the noises that alert game.

OP
OP
G

greene_bronco

Loc.
conyers, GA
i wouldn't road hunt even if it were legal in georgia. no way, no how. defeats the purpose of sitting in a remote spot, watching the sun rise and the world come alive. plus it gives those of us who enjoy hunting in an ethical manner a bad name and as many of you know, there are people out there right now that would love to keep us from going out to the woods so i do all i can to keep from giving them a reason. i'm still checking into the cut offs though. i guess one of the problems is that i can be as careful as possible (no slamming doors, walking lightly to my stand and everything else) but the guy or guys who have been hunting the same area may not be as careful as me. they may drive in, light up a smoke, bop down the trail to the stand stepping on every stick in the way and in the process, spooking every deer within three ridges. eventually, they will associate the truck noise with what happens before a human enters their domain. kinda like pavlov's dog. maybe i'm just being ultra conservative...

velpoe

Loc.
Cumberland, MD
You may have a point about Pavlov's dog, especially in areas that get hunted alot.

Come on now...what's wrong with road hunting? Isn't that when you weld some 3-4 foot barbed spikes to the front bumper and try to skewer any deer that don't get outa the way in time? Oh, wait a minute, that's deer-pooning, LOL! At least you don't have to drag them anywhere ;D ;D ;D

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
LAst year when I bought the Bronco was the first year I didn't ride the 4 wheeler within a couple hundred yards of my stand( I didn't wanna be hauling a trailer all the time). SO I just started walking in very early. I saw 2-3 times as many deer as I did before. After I would get one I would then pull it to the edge of the logging road walk out get the Bronco, and drive back and get it. However one of my first deer was taken around noon right after a truck drove down a logging road next to me. The deer looked like a kid, Walked to the road looked both ways, and came right in front of me. I wouldn't stress too much about the noise. Just be in the woods before all those "other guys" get out there.

OP
OP
G

greene_bronco

Loc.
conyers, GA
yeah. the area i hunt in (eastern piedmont in georgia) may be one of the most pressured areas in the country. just take 1-20 east from the atlanta area on any given weekend in the fall and you'd think that bin laden had just landed in savannah! every other vehicle seems to be stuffed with camo and ammo.

Henrietta

Loc.
Bradyville, TN
greene bronco,

Do you pretty much know where the other guys are gonna hunt? If so let them pick their spots and find the nastiest thickest stuff around(aka bedding area) and find a small open area near by. I recently started hunting swamplnad like this, and an hour does not pass that I have not seen at least one deer. Yeah I guess the Atlanta weekend warriors could mess things up...they probably just grab the gun and go hunting w/o ever doing the hard work like cleaning out trails etc.

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
Where you hunt isn't one of those "ranches" is it?

You know where all the deer are fenced in and all you have to do is corner them.

That's not hunting either. Might as well put them in a cage at the zoo and shoot them down.

Now back to the subject...
Since you go to the same place, you may want to look into taking a 4 wheerler ATV they are very quiet and makes it easy to haul that deer out after you get it and need to get back to camp.

U

Unregistered

no. no. no. i hunt free ranging deer, turkey, geese, ducks, etc. what's with all of the assumptions? i ask if there is a way to quiet my rig so that it doesn't sound like a metallica concert on the way to my stand and all of a sudden i'm a high fencer, spotlighter, or a road hunter? come on fellas.

U

Unregistered

i have considered the 4 wheeler though. but people even sell exhaust silencers for them. you can find them in cabelas or bass pro. seen em on the outdoor channel too.

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
I wasn't assuming, just asking. I know those "ranches" are out there and I don't believe in them. It's not hunting.

As for the atv, we have two of them and they are very quiet without a silencer. One is a Honda Recon 250 the other is a Rancher ES 350 4x4.

But for your bronco I would suggest what walker949 said about the exhaust.

OP
OP
G

greene_bronco

Loc.
conyers, GA
cool. would never hunt a high fence and try not to even help the ratings of tv shows that do. not sure they are even legal here. i know there are some in texas and i think that the "sanctuary" in michigan may be high fence... i may end up trying the cut offs. cheaper that a 4 wheeler... how many more days till bow season? too many! at least we have turkeys to keep us busy for a while.