• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hurst 3sp floor shifter

hodge's 69

Hello all I have a silly question. I am new to the bronco world, but I have a 69bronco with 3 on the tree and would like to convert it to a floor shifter. I have a hurst 3 sp floor shifter but have no directions just wondering if anyone can help a brother out. Thank you, Ty

67Stallion

Loc.
Missoula,Montana
That one is kinda hard to explain without pictures or drawing diagram, i would find some instructions somewhere. I have put two of them in, the hurst and the duffy hurst, duffys has lot better shifter handle, it is real easy to do if you can get the diagram. Ah you beat me to it with the instructs, looks like that will do it!

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
The instructions were good, but I had to put 1 of the rails in different then the instructions on my 69.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you have a 6 cyl you'll need to mod (shorten) the shift rods. Not a big deal. You'll like the floor shift - great mod.

OP
OP
H

hodge's 69

You guys are awesome. I can't wait to get started I'll let you know how it goes. Ty

70_Steve

Old Guy
You guys are awesome. I can't wait to get started I'll let you know how it goes. Ty
Make sure your three-speed is Bronco specific. There are a unique set of brackets necessary to mount the 3-speed in a Bronco.

OP
OP
H

hodge's 69

Ok so I tried the diagram but every time I hook up the shifter and try to shift it binds and will not shift. Any ideas? the brackets in the diagram that hook to the tranny are pointed down but I cannot get the ones on my bronco to point down. The rear bracket points up and the front bracket points down but it still binds and will not shift. Any help would be great. Ty

70_Steve

Old Guy
the brackets in the diagram that hook to the tranny are pointed down but I cannot get the ones on my bronco to point down. The rear bracket points up and the front bracket points down but it still binds and will not shift.
Ty, What "brackets" are you referring to? At both of the links above you'll find a numbered exploded diagram. What numbers are these brackets?

67Stallion

Loc.
Missoula,Montana
My brackets point up, the front backet is straight, the rear bracket has a bend that angles to the pass side,also the shift rods will bind if not run exactly right!

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
When I get home tomorrow I will send you a picture of how mine is installed. I had to vary from the directions to get it to work, but it does work fine.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Did you align the shifter by putting the tranny in neutral and putting the 1/4" drill through the holes in the shift arms at the shifter? Do that then adjust the rods to fit. It should "work" (not bind) with the tranny levers either up or down but the shift pattern will change whether they are up or down. Change them until the shift pattern is correct. It's really easier than it sounds!!

OP
OP
H

hodge's 69

So I tried and tried but all I can think is the I don't have the right linkage for the bronco(its a used shifter) all the pictures of the kit new are showing 2 different sets of linkage. So I hooked back up the three on the tree and will order a new kit and try again. thanks for the help. -Ty

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Here are the pics, alittle blurry, may need to get a better camera.

Attachments

• HPIM0500.jpg
    HPIM0500.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 68
  • HPIM0501.jpg
    HPIM0501.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 53
  • HPIM0502.jpg
    HPIM0502.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 53
  • HPIM0503.jpg
    HPIM0503.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 38
  • HPIM0504.jpg
    HPIM0504.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
H

hodge's 69

floor shifter

Thanks a bunch I'll probaly tear into it again when I get done with work. What a pain in the A$$. I think one of my linkage is different. Is that possible?

tk1218

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flower Mound
Yes, if it is not made specifically for the bronco. I really had to work with mine to get around the tunnel by the gas pedal.