• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hybrid rear leaf packs

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Ok, so I built a new rear bumper and with a spare tire, my rear sags a little. I have 3.5" national leafs. I have heard that folks don't have good luck with re-arching the springs (from searching here), so I was thinking about adding a leaf from another vehicle to compensate for the extra weight. My cousin just put full widths under his XJ (I know, they never learn), but he is putting a leaf or two from an older dakota in his leaf pack and I understand it works well, although he hasn't done it yet.

I don't want a true add-a-leaf because I don't want the rough ride. I think if I can get the right spring, I can still keep a nice ride, while getting more hauling capacity.

Anyone know of a cheap plentiful rig to get these from? I can't go measure my leafs, but I would need to match width and length (to an extent). It seems midsize trucks would be the best candidates because their leafs are arched a lot for load carrying capability and he size would seem to be about right.

Are there any other cheap options for combatting sagging springs? Other than width and length, what other measurements do I need to see if they'll drop into my leaf pack. Thanks!

J.D.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I would say 79-85 Toyota rear leafs. They are the closest in width to the EB springs. The pin is offset but you use as a 2nd or 3rd leaf cut down wouldn't be a problem.

70_Steve

Old Guy
brian72 said:
do you have the 10 or 11 pak nationals?
Exactly what I was thinking. I originally bought 10 leaf packs from WH. After they shipped, I changed my mind and wanted 11 leaves. So, I did the 11th leaf. (Look right above the full length Add-a-Leaf) Pulled apart my spring pack, and it went in just like it was there originally.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I think I have 11 leafs. I will dig thru some pics and see if I have a shot that I can count. I'll take a look at the yotas! Thanks!

J.D.