• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydraulic clutch tech?

Nevadasmith

Loc.
Fallon, Nv
I'm getting ready to swap a zf5 into my 71, I've collected all the parts a peice at a time. I think I'm ready but I have 2 questions. The first is can you use the 3 finger pressure plate with the hydraulic throw out, or do I need the diaphragm style? I'm planning on using the f250 hydraulic master cylinder, I think I can get the geometry right, but if anyone has the BC broncos hydraulic master cylinder install instructions that they could email to me I would love to read them. Thanks
silashowell@yahoo.com

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Most recommend the diaphragm style clutch, some have used the three finger clutch only to have it cause trouble later.

Since changing the clutch is a fairly major job why ask for trouble with it?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Does the ZF only have a hyd t/o bearing option?

If the OE mech linkage can be connected I would try to do so, but if hyd is the only option then I wish that I had more info. Using a new m/c from a donor truck's application is a good idea.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Does the ZF only have a hyd t/o bearing option?

If the OE mech linkage can be connected I would try to do so, but if hyd is the only option then I wish that I had more info. Using a new m/c from a donor truck's application is a good idea.

The small block ZF5 is an internal hydraulic throw-out bearing/slave cylinder.

The big block and diesel ZF5 transmissions have an external hydraulic slave cylinder that moves a fork.
I have seen on another forum where someone converted that to a mech. clutch, no long term report on how well it worked.

Make sure to use the master cylinder and slave cylinder from the same year of truck, there are two different bore diameters so mix and match can cause hard to diagnose problems.