• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydro Boost Master Cylinder

BLAKEBRONCO

Loc.
Cumming Georgia
Guys,

Yes, its another stupid question... I'm doing the Astro Hydro-boost set up. I noticed that many of you guys are using different Master Cylinders. Presently I'm running drums all the way around, (don't have the cash for front disc yet). Could I use the MC that came of the Astro even though I have front drums? Or should I consider another unit till I convert to disc?

Thanks for yall's help!

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
You can use your stock master all you need to do is enlarge the hole and it will fit.

Below is a 93 astro unit with a drum/drum master cylinder

Attachments

• DSC02037 (Medium).JPG
    DSC02037 (Medium).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
B

BLAKEBRONCO

Loc.
Cumming Georgia
Thanks Broncoman & War Eagle!

My stock MC is the reason I did this modification in the first place, (leaking fluid in my already rusty floor). I figured, what the heck I'll go hydro boost. I like the looks of the straight aluminum MC from the Astro, but wasn't sure if it is proportioned differently, (within the MC), for the front disc. I know there is an additional valve block, (seperate from the MC), that I reasoned to be proportioned for the front disc & rear drums on the van.

Can I use the Astro MC without the proportioning valve with 4 drums?

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
BLAKEBRONCO said:
Thanks Broncoman & War Eagle!

My stock MC is the reason I did this modification in the first place, (leaking fluid in my already rusty floor). I figured, what the heck I'll go hydro boost. I like the looks of the straight aluminum MC from the Astro, but wasn't sure if it is proportioned differently, (within the MC), for the front disc. I know there is an additional valve block, (seperate from the MC), that I reasoned to be proportioned for the front disc & rear drums on the van.

Can I use the Astro MC without the proportioning valve with 4 drums?
NO you cannot, The AStro unit will not have the pressure retention valve on the front brake system. There fore your front brakes will not work worth a D**n! Dont mess with this one!!
If you cannot afford a new master for the drum/drum setup I am sure one of the guys that has done the disc front conversion will send you there old master for a pittance. All you have to do is ask. If not, go to a wrecking yard and get another master for the drum/drum setup (old pickup, maverick, etc) the master must have a pressure retention valve in both cylinders and you cannot add one to a ASTRO master.
PLEASE dont mess with this!! Do it right.
TOFIC

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
Just take your leaky one down to the local parts store and buy another one. They normally cost between $12 and $18. It just isn't worth the trouble to try and make a used one work for that.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I had to add about two inches(I think) to the end of the rod using the stock bronco rod