• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydro boost questions

edones06

Im thanking of upgrading to hydroboost. Rite now im running four wheel disk and manual brakes and 35's. Im wanting to upgrade to 37's so the brakes need some help. I like the hydro boost set ups but is there a set up I can run that uses all Ford parts? Im not much on cross breeding. I want my Ford all Ford! Lol I just need to know what to look for in junk yard parts. Thanks in advance for any help

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
There are hydroboost set-ups from Mustangs and Super Duty diesels that are all Ford.

I'm the same way, resisting using anything non-Ford on my Bronco.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Good news / bad news - the boosters are not made by Ford. They are made by a third party so if you buy one from a Mustang it is the same as an Astro vans or GM truck. Think like a Holley carb etc.

Anyway if you go yard hunting look at all the bigger trucks (2500/3500) - GM, Ford - and many of them have it. Best upgrade you can make after disks or power steering.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
All the hydroboost units are made by Bosch.

Todd Z.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
I just finished a super duty hydroboost it works awesome. Used a Lincoln mark v mc and new hydro lines. I also cut a vacuum booster bracket and used it

Brewmover

Loc.
Tulsa
There are hydroboost set-ups from Mustangs and Super Duty diesels that are all Ford.

I'm the same way, resisting using anything non-Ford on my Bronco.

What are the mustang model years that utilize hydro boost? Are the super duty diesel boosters better given that they are from larger vehicles?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
What are the mustang model years that utilize hydro boost? Are the super duty diesel boosters better given that they are from larger vehicles?

96-04 on the Mustangs. The Super Duty boosters are nice because they're reasonably common in the junkyards and have long pushrods that will work with a lot of different master cylinders and are good if you're going directly to the firewall for mounting. Astro van units are also common and fit the angle brackets nicely. I used to recommend the Duper Duty units because they have large power pistons but the reality is that doesn't seem to be a big deal for our trucks.

Todd Z.

OsideDave

So is the Super Duty the preferred setup if wanting to run directly off the firewall? Will an Astro unit run directly off the firewall? From my recent start of researching this it appears the Astro/Safari vans are angled. I have a carb'd 351W - any issues here.

Brewmover

Loc.
Tulsa
96-04 on the Mustangs. The Super Duty boosters are nice because they're reasonably common in the junkyards and have long pushrods that will work with a lot of different master cylinders and are good if you're going directly to the firewall for mounting. Astro van units are also common and fit the angle brackets nicely. I used to recommend the Duper Duty units because they have large power pistons but the reality is that doesn't seem to be a big deal for our trucks.

Todd Z.

Thanks Todd. Are the Astro vans year specific or will any hydro unit work from them?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
A big part of the popularity of the angle brackets is clearance for EFI upper manifolds.
With a carb you will not have that problem.

The Super Duty hydroboost have been used directly mounted to the firewall.

The Mustang hydroboost has a mounting plate that angles up, though this can be clocked.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Todd. Are the Astro vans year specific or will any hydro unit work from them?

I don't recall the exact years but there are many threads here detailing the years. There were two different brackets depending on the year as well.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
So is the Super Duty the preferred setup if wanting to run directly off the firewall? Will an Astro unit run directly off the firewall? From my recent start of researching this it appears the Astro/Safari vans are angled. I have a carb'd 351W - any issues here.

Some people bolt the Super Duty unit up directly to the firewall and don't have to modify the pushrod that connects to the pedal. It puts the pedal too low for my liking so I always end up cutting/lengthening the pushrods, regardless of the donor unit.

A carb'd 351W shouldn't be an issue for a unit straight off the firewall. Only caveat is if you have tall valve covers.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
edones06

edones06

Well i guess ill keep my eye open for mustang or super duty stuff. I dont want any goverment moters hand me downs thanks again guys.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Todd, any particular year Super Duty? Would 03-07 work? Thanks, mark

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Todd, any particular year Super Duty? Would 03-07 work? Thanks, mark

My personal experience has been with the units from the leaf sprung trucks (99-04?) but I'm sure the later model units would work too - I know there are folks that have used them.

Todd Z.

OsideDave

Bought a Superduty Hydroboost unit off ebay last night.

I am working out of a 1 car garage and to keep things easy should I buy a firewall adapter plate from one of the vendors? Any recommendations

Noticed the Superduty master cylinder reservoir is pretty tall. I am thinking a Mustang or other vehicle reservoir would go on to the Superduty MC? Is that true? visually the spacing looks the same.

If I run Superduty master cylinder and rear disc brakes will I need proportional valve? I will try to look up the part number on the MC once I get it to see if it is for rear disc or drum

This thread and the Hydroboost 101 thread are awesome