• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost clearance w/ a 5.0L ???

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
I was not planning on making this change yet, but my power booster has bit the dust....

I have been thinking about putting hydroboost in my Bronco. I currently have a 302 in it. I plan to install a 5.0 from a Mustang (here in the next few years).

So....to my question. I don't want to spend $200 on a new booster when I might be able to stop by a pick-a-part and get a hydro boost setup for less. What is the best donor vehicle if I plan to install a 5.0L in the future?

THANKS!

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
I don't think there is really a best donor vehicle out there. all will require some mod or another. one off of a ford would allow you to use a ford master cylinder. I run hydroboost with my mustang efi. hboost on the fire wall, had to angle it away from the plenum to clear everyting. if you have a booster bracket then install it on that and you can pretty much run any one you want. Ford donors I know of are some f250 and larger trucks (some have vacum boosters) big cars and vans, mustangs too. chevy stuff, astro and bigger vans, 2500 and bigger trucks and vans, big cars. some astros have an angled mounting bracket that would be better on firewall mounting.

some people have gotten them off of ford vehicles and just bolted them up with no real mods. I let cheapness dictate which vehicle I got mine off of. $25 for boost, mc, and hoses off of astro van.

older ones ( no matter wich make) like pre 85ish will have flared ends insted of o-ring metric crap. if you do get one of the newer ones get the fitting off the pump where the line screws into it and put it on your sag pump. that will save you from having to make one end. I cut the oring end off of mine for the box end and flared it.

sorry so long, time on my hands

jkskier

Loc.
Western Washington
BroncoBrother - it is my understanding that they are all desireable unless they do not have the metal cylinder (gold or silver or blue) off to the side. Can't remember why, but I think it was some integral function that was affected.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
remote reservoir model 76 i believe on a GM Truck
one year wonder (wonder it lasted that long)
real woofer, leave it in the yard.
TOFIC

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
jkskier said:
BroncoBrother - it is my understanding that they are all desireable unless they do not have the metal cylinder (gold or silver or blue) off to the side. Can't remember why, but I think it was some integral function that was affected.

Yes, you're referring to the internal accumulator models - generally found on 80-85 GM cars, usually diesel Eldorados. One hit wonders - leave 'em in the yards.

Todd Z.

Redleg06

H-boost and Hydo clutch

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone run a hydroboost setup on an EFI engine that is running a hydraulic clutch? I'm trying to find a setup that will fit my bronco (EFI and ZF 5 Speed). I'm leaning towards the mustang setups since they seem to be narrower than the other units I've seen.

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Redleg06 said:
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but has anyone run a hydroboost setup on an EFI engine that is running a hydraulic clutch? I'm trying to find a setup that will fit my bronco (EFI and ZF 5 Speed). I'm leaning towards the mustang setups since they seem to be narrower than the other units I've seen.

I'm planning to ditch my vacuum booster and go with an Astro hydroboost. Even to get my clutch master in there with the stock vacuum booster I had to get creative. I just built an offset bracket at the time that was sort of modeled off of the bracket and bell crank for the vacuum booster. I was married back then and my ex-wife was only 5' nothing tall and had a hard time with a direct clutch connection so I built a little extra leverage into the new bell crank too. It kept her left leg from getting tired in traffic. She ran the wheels off of that thing, its amazing that I ended up with it.

Attachments

• DCP00155.JPG
    DCP00155.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 118

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Redleg06 said:
You could do this and still have alot of room.......

Attachments

• DSC00054.JPG
    DSC00054.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 127

Redleg06

Past Miner all I can say is "Wow," that is some serious fab work for a hydro clutch. Madgyver what setup are you running (I'm guessing Astro), it's nice, but would not work for me.

The problem with the hydraulic clutch is canting the hydro unit to the left will cause it to interfere with the clutch MC. What I would like is to be able to get a hydoboost unit that cants minimally or not at all to the left so it will clear the clutch MC, but still be narrow enough to clear the EFI intake. Although I admire Past Miner's fab work I would rather find the easy way out, and was hoping the mustang hydroboost unit would be it.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Here is what I did, I used a 90 something astroboost unit mounted to the angled vacuum booster bracket. Then I mounted the clutch master in the old speedo hole after it had been enlarged (very common idea) The angled vacuum bracket keeps the hydroboost unit away from the EFI intake on my 5.0 and the location for the speedo puts the brake linkage right where it needs to line up with the brake pedal. If I can find some pics I will post them, its all kinda snug but it's really a nice way to do it.

Ben

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
hydroboost clearance with a 5.0

Here is a pic with my booster mounted to the angled bracket, it was very easy to do. If I can remember I will try to get you a pic of the clutch master location as well.

Ben

Attachments

• hydroboost 007 comp new lines.jpg
    hydroboost 007 comp new lines.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 156

BLAKEBRONCO

Loc.
Cumming Georgia
How much room do you need for the EFI? My arrangement is a bit different from what I have seen with the angle brackets. I fabricated a bracket using a bell crank as well, but I mounted the crank horizontal. This allowed me to move the booster about 8"-9" toward the driver's side fender. If you guys are interested in seeing this, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a photo. I'm not sure if it gives enough room for the EFI but it may.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
You can also do the wide brake pedal mod if you are running an auto tranny which positions the booster over where the clutch would be. That would give you tons of room for any EFI intake.

Ben

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
I installed a hydroboost unit from a 98 Mustang Cobra (96-04 should work). It fits fine with my ZF MC and look like it might clear the intake for you 5-oh guys. I'd like to do a write up for it (when I get around to it). But I'd be happy to answer questions in the mean time.

RFR2212

Loc.
Chicago Burbs
I've got a full astro hboost unit in my bronc. I have a rebuilt 91 stang motor waiting to go in. When it goes in, I will keep my trans and then add a chevy FI system. I don't want to have get the 45 degree bracket to clear the efi intake.
I've seen this setup on a jeep with a stock chevy 350 and it works very well! I can't install a b/l b/c of my roll cage and I am not installing a cowl hood, and this should fit with the stock intake.
Can be seen here
http://www.certifiablejeep.com/fuelinjection1.php
www.affordable-fuel-injection.com