• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost fluid

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
Before you search Nazis jump me for not searching this I did.

I found a 1976 Mercury document that said to use mercon III in a hydroboost system, but the overwhelming opinion here seems to be power steering fluid. I even found a recant Ford document for 2006 F250s with HB that required a lter version of mercon. Un fortunately I cant find it again so I cant prove it right now and don't really want to. Other sources say later versions of mercon will foam when hot and to never use it. I have been told that Mercon III was good but even though the later versions of Mercon is good for use in Mercon III transmissions it is not for HB and power steering applications. But why did they recommend it at all. Power steering fluids have been around since power steering. :)

Anyway I don't want to flush and drain my pumps, gear , and cooler anyway. Besides you guys are always right and everyone else is wrong. I suspect that in a car with a cooler you would never know the difference as braking and steering really aren't that much of a load but offroad systems probably work quite a bit hardr.

swyman

Loc.
Blissfield
This was a topic my hydraulics instructor talked about in class (20 years ago). Power steering systems don't have the correct o-rings for a transmission type fluid which is why every truck we had on the farm leaked, because we put transmission fluid in them!

Past_Miner

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've been running power steering fluid in mine for years without any problems. I never bothered to look anything up, I just added more matching fluid (sort of) to the pump and went for it.

BTW, I like to think I'm always right. I never really bother to check into that either ;D

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
run power steering fluid in mine as well with no problems

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Tom Lee (reknowned aftermarket steering components builder) and Paul Clark (leading aftermarket hydroboost guru) both recommend GM power steering fluid for their systems. So I went with their advice and occasionally get to see the inside of a GM parts department as a result.

Todd Z.

Toddpole

Contributor
So I went with their advice and occasionally get to see the inside of a GM parts department as a result.

Todd Z.

Please tell me you tell the GM guys you drove your EB to their parts shop because they chebby wouldn't make it. ;D

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I used ATF in mine HB and it would groan and whine. I took the return line off and crank it w/o the coil on until all the fluid pumped out. Then I refilled with power steering fluid and now it is mostly quite except when cold. It did not leak with either fluid.