• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hydroboost Installation question

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Thanks for the solid math, makes sense.

Are you saying the Vanco unit didn’t have much vertical angle but had a fairly substantial horizontal angle (between the LOA of brake pedal and the LOA of hydro? If so, any idea of how big an angle?

That would be interesting with what he told @toddz69 previously.
The push-rod from the pedal into the rear of the H-B unit has an offset at the hole for the pin on the pedal. The centerline of the push-rod's shaft is pretty close to horizontal, but the pin is below that centerline,

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
If that isn't the same push-rod, it is very close.
Ever since seeing it I've wondered why? Clearance and fitment concerns, sure, but the force's LOA is still at a significant angle. Maybe it was the only way to get here from there? That, and mine, both appear to be production parts, not customish aftermarket parts. So there's an OEM application out there somewhere where that force LOA is acceptable.

In any case, it is an example that the pedal force LOA isn't maybe as critical as we've been lead to think. Even those trucks that get driven a lot likely still won't rack up the annual miles of an appliance* vehicle. The constraints that bind an OEM's design decisions may not need to be so stringent here.

(* credit where due, Lars was the first to use that term for a DD/family truckster/easily replaced vehicle.)

OP
OP
J

jamesroney

Loc.
Fremont, CA
I'd have to go dig around on Rockauto to see the exact years but I think they started around '93 and ran until the early 00s?

Todd Z.
Yeah, it kinda depends on what you package as a Hydroboost.

If you include the firewall bracket as part of the booster, then the split goes:

1990-93 Astro Van. -Small eyebolt actuator pin. Flat plate with big nut.
1994-95 Astro Van. Large eyebolt actuator pin. Flat plate with big nut.
1996-02 Astro Van. Large eyebolt actuator pin, Formed angle plate with big nut.

ksagis

Contributor
Aspiring Bronco Guru
If that isn't the same push-rod, it is very close.
Ever since seeing it I've wondered why? Clearance and fitment concerns, sure, but the force's LOA is still at a significant angle. Maybe it was the only way to get here from there? That, and mine, both appear to be production parts, not customish aftermarket parts. So there's an OEM application out there somewhere where that force LOA is acceptable.

In any case, it is an example that the pedal force LOA isn't maybe as critical as we've been lead to think. Even those trucks that get driven a lot likely still won't rack up the annual miles of an appliance* vehicle. The constraints that bind an OEM's design decisions may not need to be so stringent here.

(* credit where due, Lars was the first to use that term for a DD/family truckster/easily replaced vehicle.)
I’ve been thinking about this one a bit, I actually don’t think offset linkage creates a side force and is why they build it with the offset (specifically to avoid the side force on the hydro)

I’ve drawn it a few times to noodle on it and end up at the same conclusion.

Am I missing something in my crappy drawing?

Attachments

• IMG_1789.jpeg
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 11