• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

i drove the bronco on the freeway westerday!

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
i drove it from clinton to west jordan about 44.2 miles

well made it ok, had a little bit of a off and on wobble when i hit 60-65, with that being a new motor i can't really tell what RPM'S its doing so i just kept it at that speed.

ether my trans is skipping 2nd or not going into 3rd.

when i got off I215 my tranny temp shot up to 210 (at the pump) and started slipping, i got a 2 core tranny cooler with a fan and it still stayed at 210 and started getting hotter when i got to my house.

im thinking the wobble is from the tires not being balanced, cus my mom (who was behind me) said she could see my right front tire moving a little bit from time to time.

got a lot of looks and thumbs up's and even passed two HP cars and had a cop behind me and didn't get pulled over

im going to go over to the gas station and fill it back up and see how much fuel i burned up. i have a gas gauge but im missing the sending unit plug. there is a guy in brigham city that has one and a driveline for me, but its hard to make it up that way...

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
Is the tranny a C4? Did you try shifting it manually? If it's not going into 3rd that would make it get hot. Is the tranny new/rebuilt?

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Is the tranny a C4? Did you try shifting it manually? If it's not going into 3rd that would make it get hot. Is the tranny new/rebuilt?

its a c6, its rebuilt. could i go 60mph in 2nd? i don't think my rpm's where that high.

ya i did. seemed like it didnt want to shift at all so i pushed it into D then it did.

it was fine the hole way on the freeway never went passed 180 itas when i got off that is started getting hot.

Sounds like a decent run... Nice ain't it.

very nice :)
my GF texted me and asked what i was doing, i told her i was driving the bronco and she said,home?? send me a pic! lol

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
2nd is not going in. drove around town tonight, HAD ANOTHER EB BEHIND ME! and it shifts way late but when its reving up to shift my tranny temp go's up then when it shifts it go's back down.

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Do you have the fan shroud on it? If not, get one.

Also, put in two bottles of Redline water wetter...yes it does work!

blubberfet

2nd is not going in. drove around town tonight, HAD ANOTHER EB BEHIND ME! and it shifts way late but when its reving up to shift my tranny temp go's up then when it shifts it go's back down.

That was me! I told my wife that I thought it was broncomitch and pointed out the full width axles. She thought it was funny when you stuck you're head out the window to look back at us. We where on our way back from the store to get my son a treat. My son knows that if we take the Bronco he is going to get something fun to eat. He always wants to go in the Bronco ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Go to any junk yard the fuel sending unit plug is the same on many fords up through the 80's.
I'd recheck to make sure the modulator is hooked up and has vacuum it might cause slow shifts.
Getting hot when stopping is probably normal but if its getting hot when driving slow its probably slipping. Maybe the bands need adjusting. I also check the kickdown lever adjustment.
210 is about where it should be. I wouldnt worry much about 210.
I would try and get that engione temp up or at least verified. 165 is a bit to low IMO.

cb21

Loc.
Ogden, Utah
broncomitch I may be able to swing up to Brigham City and pick up the parts for you and meet you in Clinton. Let me know Chris.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
That was me! I told my wife that I thought it was broncomitch and pointed out the full width axles. She thought it was funny when you stuck you're head out the window to look back at us. We where on our way back from the store to get my son a treat. My son knows that if we take the Bronco he is going to get something fun to eat. He always wants to go in the Bronco ;D

haha, good ole round about :)

the second i pulle out onto that road and saw the light on the grill i knew it was a EB. ;D

2ndone

I was thinking too that you don't have the vacum modulator hooked up,
also c6 takes around 12 quarts of fluid, hope this helps.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
Go to any junk yard the fuel sending unit plug is the same on many fords up through the 80's.
I'd recheck to make sure the modulator is hooked up and has vacuum it might cause slow shifts.
Getting hot when stopping is probably normal but if its getting hot when driving slow its probably slipping. Maybe the bands need adjusting. I also check the kickdown lever adjustment.
210 is about where it should be. I wouldnt worry much about 210.
I would try and get that engione temp up or at least verified. 165 is a bit to low IMO.

well,the modulator is hooked up..but i wonder if it is bad. also, dose it need sucktion to work? i got it running off the small right port on my carb.

cus i got it ajusted all the way out and it still shifts hard...will the 2nd gear band being to loose cause it not to go into 2nd gear?

2ndone

vacum should be off intake not carb, just my opinion. also
change filter sometimes that will make a diffrence.

jamie

yes, if the second gear band is to loose, it wont shift. i cant remember the specs on the adjustment though

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
yes, if the second gear band is to loose, it wont shift. i cant remember the specs on the adjustment though

i got a ford c6 rebuild dvd, it told me to screw the ajuster in till its snug then back it off one and a half turns the lock the nut down.

but i had to dig into my trans when i did my motor swap and im wondering if i didn't adjust it right.

ill try it when i get back from court.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I would adjust the band but also make sure that the modulator has good vacuum. Weak vacuum will make it shift late. What carb do you have? If it's a Holley use the front vacuum port under the front bowl.