• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

i drove the bronco on the freeway westerday!

2ndone

Drop the pan and look up, thats the filter.
I had one that was plugged and it blew atf
out the dipstick, by the way changing filter very messy
unless someone added a drain plug..;D

your bronco looks pretty cool, hope you getter
shiftin!

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
why thank you :)

the trans only has maybe 80 miles on it sense i rebuilt it.

well, i ajusted the band, and nothing. first i tightened it down and went for a drive, im not sure what happened lol

it felt like it shifted but then it started to bog down or something then i saw smoke so hit 1st and went back home and ajusted it back one and 1/4 turn, nothing.

so i moved the vac hose to the manifold...nothing. :cry: please shoot me. i really dont want to pull it out again.

2ndone

I am not a transmission guru,
my lessons have been learned the hardway.
I put a 429 c6 auto into a 59 ford f100 in 1977
First thing I did was did'nt line up the pump with the torque converter and broke the ear off tranny. only needed a 1/4 of an inch so tried to force it in.
Pulled back apart and lined it up .
in 1986 I helped my brother change his engine in a 78 f150. he decided to replace the seal on the pump of the tranny.
we unbolted the circle of bolts, guts fell to the ground! did I mention it was 10 degrees and snowing?
So tranny 101 commenced and we got that thing back together.
Fast forward to 1999, hepled my friend put in his aod into his 66 bronco.
told him he would'nt need kick down cable, did'nt know it was what they call a tv cable for setting pressure. we fried the clutches...took out tranny, stood it up and changed the welded clutches.then reinstalled and hooked up the tv cable.
that aod was a pos. now its running a zf 5speed.
did you line up the torque converter to the pump? I'm not far from you I live in Elko..
Currently own that 66 bronco....

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
didnt you buy some parts off of me??

when i did my motor swap i didn't, i got lucky and didnt brake anything.

i called my tranny guy today and he said it could be 3 things.

the 2nd gear servo is bad,the 2nd gear band is bad/burnt/the drum it rides on is all F ed up, (like someone taking a grinder to it or something) or my 2nd gear shift valve is stuck.

he also said any of those i can fix with the trans in the bronco ;D that made me happy.

im betting it's the valve body. cus i drove it yesterday and it shifted softer and my RPMS where not so low like when it would shift in 3rd...thats the only time it's done it tho.

i installed a heavy duty 2nd gear kevlar band and a new servo to boot.
i put maybe 80 miles on it sense i rebuilt it...i can't really see ether of those going bad...but i guess anything can happen.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Well the servo and the valve body can be fixed with out removing the tranny but the band/drum cant.
Servo should be a easy check. But id lean towards the stuck valve in the valve body.

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
he said you can get the band out..no idea if i can or not, the drum ya i know for sure i would.

ill go my dad's and get my lools and such so i can clean that valve body, maybe today or tomarrow..

OP
OP
broncomitch

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!

took my valve body off and took it apart, i found a valve was in the wrong way.
when i took it all apart the first time i laid it all on the table just how it was, so that might have been the resion why the guy sold it to me so cheap..

but my 2nd gear works now and shifts perfect! ;D