• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I Installed my Np435 and have some questions

treihesse

Bronco Guru
1. It seems loud and Clunky and Hard to shift. Is this Normal.

2. I used 75-140w in the D20 is this ok??

3. I checked the oil level on the NP by taking off the top plug and dipping in my finger it was close to the top of the plug. Is this high enough?

4. I know this is a "truck" tranny so I need to get use to it but what is normal for these trannys??

brewchief

1. It seems loud and Clunky and Hard to shift. Is this Normal.
Loud and clunky yes, hard to shift? shouldn't be.
2. I used 75-140w in the D20 is this ok??
I think I used some 75-140, some 80-90, I don't think it really matters to these old gear boxes, as long as they have lube they seem happy, I know some will disagree with me and say it HAS to have the same as ford put in it from the factory, to those guys i guess we can just agree to disagree

3. I checked the oil level on the NP by taking off the top plug and dipping in my finger it was close to the top of the plug. Is this high enough?
I try to get it so it drips out a little when I pull the plug but it should be just fine

4. I know this is a "truck" tranny so I need to get use to it but what is normal for these trannys??
They are old, heavy, noisy, slow to shift transmissions, I wouldn't want anything else.;D

Brewchief;D

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
1. Depending on what you're used to this may be normal. The NP435 will be a little clunkier and harder to shift then a standard Bronco 3 speed, if that's what you're comparing to. If you're comparing to a newer vehicle then yes, it will seem much clunkier. Not sure about your loud comment. You mean it's loud to shift or just loud going down the road?

2. Dana 20 tcase takes 50W oil according to the manual. But you'll find plenty of people using 80-90 or even 75-140 gear oil without any problems.

3. If you mean the fluid level was at the bottom of the empty plug hole, then yes that's the correct level.

4. Again, kind of goes back to #1. Yes, it's a harder shifting tranny then most. But part of that is exaggerated because the shifter is so long and awkward.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Np435

I'll give a shot at this ...You may need to esplane more issues .....
1.st...1st gear is very noisey in these trans..growls grinding ...No problem .
other 3 gears need to be mostly quit ...
..2nd Shifting you just shift an Np435 out of one gear to netural and then into the next gear ...Don't try an speed shift these althou we all do but they grind about 1/2 the time if your speed shifting ..
.....Now if it grinds more than you like adjust your clutch I seem to be able to find a spot I can live with..Don't be too fast to think it has to be overhauled this old trans will live for 10 years scratching going into 3rd and or 4th...
....And I guess you know it is supposed to grind going into 1st ...no synro ..
...If you don't want it to grind going into 1st then you need my T18 or T19 for sale..

OP
OP
treihesse

treihesse

Bronco Guru
well I dont have a tunnel cover yet so It was loud, Do you have to double clutch this tranny? It shifts fine when driving, just a few issues when sitting still. Seems like you have to double clutch to go inot gear somtimes

sprinksbeme

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kingman, AZ
I use 50wt in both the trans and the D20, too me it seemed to make the shifts easier than with the 75-140. It gets pretty cold here and that np435 just did not want to shift till it warmed up.
Definitely not a racing tranny; shifts are long. I can't say that mine is loud in 2-4 gears but there is a whine if i wind it up in 1st and reverse.

Put some miles on it you're going to love this transmission.

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
Do your self a favor and put synthetic fluid in both of those gear boxes. I put Royal Purple Syncromesh in mine and it changed the shifting characteristics for the better on both. I think there are cheaper synthetics out there than Royal Purple, but I know it works

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
It shouldnt be cluncky or hard to shift I've driven several trucks with 435's and never had any problems with them. Never had to double clutch them either. as for the loudness it really shouldnt be loud either but since your tunnel cover is off that could be part of it but it still should be fairly quiet in 2nd-4th. While heavier weight oil may make it shift harder I would also think it would make it a bit more quiet. Not sure as I've only ever run 50W in mine.
no you dont need to retune your engine for this transmission.
Overall they are a little different some people hate the way they shift but I guess I'm so used to it that it doesnt bother me I dont think its that bad I've driven 3sp on the floor EB's that shifted far worse. I think you'll find its not that bad after driving it a while.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Im finally getting close to driving my project with its np435, im interested in how its going to. I plan to install a gear banger shifter, you may look into that later on.