• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I love my WAH!

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
[quote author=swmhuskie link=board=5;threadid=19230;start=15#msg147656 date=1056588307]
I second the question about ON road quality. I like the adaptability of a wristed arm that pins. Thanks -kyle
[/quote]I've got BC 6 1/2" coils and WAH in front and BC 5 1/2" Nationals in back and there is no noticeable additional roll with the WAH. Not an issue....I did find out that you can't mount the new RS9000x"s upside down though. They just won't work properly that way.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
[quote author=rjlougee link=board=5;threadid=19230;start=0#msg147647 date=1056585221]
Dusty that looks great, glad to see you finally got the rig up and running. Are you happy with all the build/mods?
[/quote]

Thanks Joe. The rig was only down for a couple of weeks while I worked on the front end. Prior to that it has been on the trails for almost a year. I'm very happy with most of the mods I've done so far. I want to re-do the rear suspension at some point though.

Dusty

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
[quote author=HNRYS69 link=board=5;threadid=19230;start=15#msg147791 date=1056609907]
inboard rear shocks dusty??
[/quote]

Yep. I have an inboard shock crossmember in front and one behind the axle, with two 7100s on each side. I'm not really happy with the way I have them under there. They allow unhindered travel but they lean over too much (forward and backward). When I re-do my rear suspension I want to mount the shocks as close to vertical as possible. I may tie the upper shock mounts into the cage and come up through the fenderwells with them. But that's a ways down the road.

Dusty

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
[quote author=74ranger link=board=5;threadid=19230;start=15#msg147654 date=1056588209]
how does the WAH work, what changes to give so much articulation without changing to longer radius arms or shock hoops. ???
[/quote]

Skuzzlebutt said:

OK...
With a Radius Arm suspension, the front end moves in an arc as it moves up and down. As the axle goes down, the radius arms rotate the axle forward, decreasing caster. When the axle moves up, the RAs roll the axle back, increasing caster. Durign articulation, one RA is moving up while the other is moving down. One end of the axle is rotating forward while the other is rotating backwards. A pretty difficult feat for a solid piece of metal, don't you think? This binding is the major hinderance to articulation in the front end of an EB. The wristed arm is a RA that has been cut close to its axle end and put back together so as to be hinged. This Wristed Radius Arm (WRA) allows verticale movement of the axle without forcing the axle to rotate either forward or rearward. It has no control of the rotation of the axle, the solid RA is the only thing controling the caster, or rotation of the axle housing so it essentialy is handling twice the forces it was designed to. The WRA could be called an "Idler." Since there now is only one force acting on the rotation of your axle, all that binding is completely removed.
Only one WRA is used, the other is left solid.
The WAH puts a pivot (wrist) in the middle of the axle housing to eliminate this binding. both ends of the axle housing are controled by the two solid RAs for better handling. The once solid housing can now easily twist.

Lengthened RAs will decrease the binding but not as much as the previously mentioned wrists. The longer RAs create less rotational forces than stock length RAs during the same up/down travel because, well... Because they are longer. Longer RAs means less rotation which means less binding which means better articulation.

Does this help?

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
[quote author=rjlougee link=board=5;threadid=19230;start=0#msg147647 date=1056585221]
Dusty that looks great, glad to see you finally got the rig up and running. Are you happy with all the build/mods?

Chuck, as usual you've made another excellent product. All I want to know is when you'll have the WAH available for the thick tubed D44s??? I'd love one in mine, but I have the earlier RC D44.
Joe
[/quote]

The older thick tube housings do not leave enough room for the sleeve and a axle. Sorry

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
[quote author=carnage351 link=board=5;threadid=19230;start=15#msg147879 date=1056652646]
Has anyone tried the WAH with extended radius arms yet. I am currious on how well that setup will work.
[/quote]

I don't see the need for it. Between the WAH, a wristed arm or long arms, you only need to choose one. Combining any of the two, I bet, will only harm road manners and make the rig too jiggy in the rocks. Any one of those mods by itself will give you as much articulation as you can use, there's no need to combine them. Then you start working on longer shocks and better shock mounts, freeing up the bind in the track bar and steering linkage, and the radius arm-to-frame joint.

One thought I did have though was that I would like to build my own radius arms someday to go with the WAH. They will be stock length but will be corrected for castor and will have a johnny joint at the frame end. They may also allow for a better turning radius if I can figure out a way to fab them strong enough with a jog in the arm.