• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I might be the slowest DIY EB owner ever...

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Am I alone in every EB project taking WAY longer than one anticipates??

The majority of projects I have started are my first time attempting such things so I accept being a little slow (learning curve) but it seems that nothing ever goes as planned and takes at least twice as long as I think!

I'm STILL working on my rock sliders! Planned for about 12-14 hours to do it clean and right... but then I found cancer all over the place. then my chop saw was just a bit too small to cut the 2x6 rectangle at a 45 degree angle so I had to cut by hand

Just wondering if anyone else is as retarded as I am or of this is standard in the world of being a garage fabricator?? ;D

NYLES

Bronco Guru
you need a friend with tools, other than that nothing goes as planned 71% of the time

Stutsmo

Contributor
Bronco Guru

The majority of projects I have started are my first time attempting such things so I accept being a little slow (learning curve) but it seems that nothing ever goes as planned and takes at least twice as long as I think!

I'm STILL working on my rock sliders! Planned for about 12-14 hours to do it clean and right... but then I found cancer all over the place. then my chop saw was just a bit too small to cut the 2x6 rectangle at a 45 degree angle so I had to cut by hand

Just wondering if anyone else is as retarded as I am or of this is standard in the world of being a garage fabricator?? ;D

I will admit to being at least as retarded as you are! LOL!! It once took me 2 days to change my oil!

broncoitis

Bronco Guru

Ahh, that is just the learning curve and doing things the right way! Nothing less and nothing more! ;D

Having the right tools doesn't hurt either! LOL!

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
hahaha, thanks for the support guys- everytime I THINK i have the right tools something else pops up!

Like the chop saw... thought I was all set to cut the slider ends to 45 degrees and also cut the flat plates I am welding to the frame. The damned thing would not cut through the plates (new wheel and everything) and of course I opted for the 2x6 rectangle instead of 2x5 which made the tube JUST big enough to not be able to use with the saw... story of my life! ;D

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
I'm right there with you. I once tried to replace the oil pressure sending unit, and broke the extension off in the block. Ended up chewing up the darn thing with every EZ-out type tool I could find, and having shavings in the block. Ended up with a 5.8 and EFI! Yeah, I got side-tracked.

dave vh

Loc.
Lock haven
I always have the same problem. always takes longer then expected and when you think you are almost done something goes horribly wrong. lol

Airmapper

Foolproofness Tester
Loc.
Bowling Green, KY
I see your slowness and raise you with slower.

I've been at least 4 months just fixing wires on the '70. Every weekend I say, "next weekend I can test all this and fire it up." But I say "fixing wires" but then the doors came off, the dash came out, the coolant got drained, heater hoses got replaced as well as a bunch of other cooling related stuff. The steering column was disassembled, the list of nick knack crap goes on and on....and I don't have tools or equipment to do any heavy work, which is fortunate or I'd probably have the axles out and the transmission dropped.....

I haven't done anything to my '66, but at least I can drive it around the local backroads. I guess I better leave it alone or it will be immobile as well.

I'm just glad to know I'm not the only slow mover around here. ;D

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
I'm right there with you. I once tried to replace the oil pressure sending unit, and broke the extension off in the block. Ended up chewing up the darn thing with every EZ-out type tool I could find, and having shavings in the block. Ended up with a 5.8 and EFI! Yeah, I got side-tracked.

I see your slowness and raise you with slower.

I've been at least 4 months just fixing wires on the '70. Every weekend I say, "next weekend I can test all this and fire it up." But I say "fixing wires" but then the doors came off, the dash came out, the coolant got drained, heater hoses got replaced as well as a bunch of other cooling related stuff. The steering column was disassembled, the list of nick knack crap goes on and on....and I don't have tools or equipment to do any heavy work, which is fortunate or I'd probably have the axles out and the transmission dropped.....

hahaha! been there as well. My complete "painless" rewire started with changing the turn signal switch... which turned into a custom dash... which turned into a explorer serpentine setup... which revealed a shitty valve job.

that took me all of six months!

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Unless you have a carbide blade saw, cutting 3/16 or thicker at an angle just takes way too long. I used a torch and angle grinder w/ cutoff wheel to cut mine. If you don't already do this, try it next time.. When you're cutting straight cuts on either round or square tubing, turn the piece being cut while it's being cut. Helps a lot!

OP
OP
Bundy

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Yeah you said it dude- since I couldn't even fit the 2x6 under the saw (had to stand it on its side to even attempt the 45 degree setup)

I messed with that chop saw for 30 minutes trying to figure out a way to utilize it's worth... in the end I figured out it took me about 5 minutes with my angle grinder/cutoff and a fifty cent protractor %)

I think one of my issues is overly complicating things!

PotterFX4

Loc.
Parma, OH
I stopped working on my bronco 3 months after I bought it because I decided I was way over my head. A year and a half later I jumped in head first again. Now I at least have the body off...

Having to stop, research, buy another tool, get more grinding/cutting wheels, drink beer, figure out how I can make my garage bigger, do more research...that takes a lot of time. I figure I am about 10% productive everytime I work on Betty... Learning as I go is the fun part, having a completed bronco at the end is the goal!

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
You are not alone... I have the tools, just can't find the time...

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
My frame up started cuz of a bad headlight switch..

That's hilarious! ;D

I thought I was done with my EFI install and looks like the coolant is leaking from the rear water passages on the lower intake! :( Gotta pull that off again and redo! That was after the EFI took like 3-4 months to finish up along with some other stuff. Unfortunately all this stuff takes time if you wanna do a decent job. Also alot of us aren't pros with alot of experience so sometimes the learning curve can be steeper than expected.

I know this all too well! ;)

bosshoff

Contributor
I've got you beat.

Today I applied for antique plates for mine at the DMV. I noticed the purchase date on my tittle listed as 1993.:eek: Did I mention it is still not done?

jperry1290

bought mine in july of 2010 and at that time it ran great. took several weeks to get the lift on due to frozen bolts and flaky friends with special tools. after the lift was on every seal started leaking and i ve been chasing problems ever since. now its in pieces getting prepped for paint. maybe 100 miles driven since owning it