• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I might be the slowest DIY EB owner ever...

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Like most DIY EB owners, I think your "infrastructure" is the key ingredient to a less painful build. It seems like I am always wishing I had picked up this specialty tool, or that extra specialty tool to make the job easier. But then again, you can go to Autozoned and get the tools for free. Essential wrenches and sockets aside, things that have made my life easier, my chain hoist, grinder, bench grinder, compressor, impact wrench and sockets, vice grips, BREAKER BAR, and my unsexy five foot pipe.(insert dirty joke here.%))

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Today I applied for antique plates for mine at the DMV. I noticed the purchase date on my tittle listed as 1993.:eek: Did I mention it is still not done?

Bought mine for $300 in 1990 and drove it home.....has not seen the pavement since. Almost ready to paint it, hope to drive it in October for the first time in 21 years!

We're not Tard's as much as just not smart enough to quit! I got serious about mine last summer and approached it one task at a time. If you do that you'll get a sense that you got something done, if you paint a little part and look at the entire build it gets very overwhelming!

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just installed the crate motor I bought 5 years ago.

I needed to replace a rear wheel bearing in my first bronco and ended up buying two more broncos to fix it.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Am I alone in every EB project taking WAY longer than one anticipates??

The majority of projects I have started are my first time attempting such things so I accept being a little slow (learning curve) but it seems that nothing ever goes as planned and takes at least twice as long as I think!

I'm STILL working on my rock sliders! Planned for about 12-14 hours to do it clean and right... but then I found cancer all over the place. then my chop saw was just a bit too small to cut the 2x6 rectangle at a 45 degree angle so I had to cut by hand

Just wondering if anyone else is as retarded as I am or of this is standard in the world of being a garage fabricator?? ;D

I will tell you that I may have you beat.. some of the guys here can even agree that they had to come to my house to make sure that I really had a bronco. I have gone to events for almost six years now and never had a bronco at one of them. My build started because the crums (rust chips) were flying around like leaves in a windy fall day and my daughter thought she was being attacked by "bugs"... six years later and the thing still sits.

You will get there just don't let it get overwhelming. Take one thing and finish it.... NEVER MOVE TO THE NEXT SECTION. it will never get done. Trust me.

KS.76Sport

Loc.
Wichita, KS.
Take one thing and finish it.... NEVER MOVE TO THE NEXT SECTION. it will never get done. Trust me.

Very true. A project list can eliminate the side tracks that we get sucked into as well. Once that paticular project is done, cross it off. After a while its cool to see how much you've crossed off as well.