• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I think I know the answer--braking

Nuke

Everytime I brake harder then a light tap, my Bronco goes to the left--really unnerving. I thought it was just a problem with the brakes but I did some searching on the forum any way and found this post:<br><br>http://classicbroncos.com/forums/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=1037;start=0<br><br>Although there was no conclusion, it looks like I need a track arm drop bracket, right? Does anyone have any pictures of one already installed? Any performance difference or preference between Duff's and Tom's?

G

I had the same problem with my 71 bronco after I replaced my steering box the problem was gone .....Good luck

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
it could still be your brakes. but it could also be steering linkage, tire inflation, or a bent axle tube (too much camber on one side). I'd hate to spend the money on new parts when I wasn't positive that everything I had was working correctly to begin with.

Outshine2

Loc.
Orange County, CA
I have the exact same problem and ultimately I believe I cannot fix it without going to disks up front. Mine usually pulls left, but not all the time. Some days it will not pull at all unless braking hard. If I brake hard it will initally pull left a little and then pretty hard to the right... I've done all 4 wheels (pretty much replaced all hardware) and adjusted tons of times but still the same. I've brought it into 3 different brake shops and had them inspect and adjust and still the same. I can adjust the right side past where it is dragging pretty hard and it still will pull left. Took it in for an alignment and still the same. My steering linkage is fine, my track bar is paralell, and I just put some new track bar bushings up front.

Besides disks all I can think is that my c-bushings need swapped because one side is compressing and causing that... and the alignment shop said that my tires were bad/unevenly worn, but I dunno if that would cause braking problems since they are at the correct pressure... oh well I'm gonna do disks anyways!

Here is my thread about the same issue from a while ago...

Good luck on yours, keep us posed cause I might need ideas! ;D

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Try stopping with your emergency brake only that will isolate the rear. if it stops straight then look at the front. If the front axle is centered in the frame you dont need a drop bracket to make it stop straight you may need it to help with bump steer but that isnt your problem. Take a tape measure and measure the distance from rim to rim on each side of the truck if they are not close then fix the bushings on the track bars. next check the toe in and if the wheel bearings are loose. if it still wont stop straight then its time to fix the front brakes but if they are drums then if you get them fixed they wont stay, you really need disc's. Either the linings are out of adjustment or the linings are glazed or both. If you had access to pressure guages you can check that both sides of the truck are getting even brake pressures. Broncos cook the front drum brakes so what ever you do it is just a stop gap to getting disc's.<br>GET DISC'S YOUR LIFE IS WORTH IT!!

OP
OP
Nuke

Nuke

E-brake--I would use it if I had one!! ;D I am going to take care of that soon.<br><br>Well, I will start looking at the many different things it could be. It looks like I should do the Dana 44 and Disc brakes addition sooner then I had wanted.

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Jack the front end off the ground and see if you can move a tire. Check for any play, just a tiny bit can cause you to wonder all over the road...

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
If you have manual steering, you can also adjust the slop out of the wheel. This may help mitigate the problem.<br><br>Ed<br>

zeusakira

Loc.
Butler, PA
If it learches as soon as brakes are tapped then acts differenetly as you apply more pressure then it could be your front brake hoses. When they get old and deteriorate the rubber inside brakes loose and the acts like a one way flapper valve.

72Sport

Bronco Guru
The front brake shoes used on a Bronco have been used on Ford trucks from 1960-1975 according to my Eis 1939-1975 brake catalog. They are not all the same. They have been made all over the country. Check numbers, manufacturer names stamped in the sides of the shoes. If they don't have the same markings the shoes could be your problem. I bought a new set of Bendix shoes not relined and the solved the problem with mine. I think the set was about $30. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Nuke

Nuke

I think I have the problem licked. After looking at the Owners Manual, it said to adjust the automatic adjusting brakes, apply the brakes in reverse. Seems to have helped out a lot. What had happen, I kept parking in such a manner that I didn't need to use reverse. He is a link to the manual with the brake instructions:<br><br>http://www.broncohio.com/tech/73broncomanual/73man-20.JPG

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
Actually one more thing to consider is that all drum braking is notorious for pulling one way or the other. Since I converted the front to disks no more problems pulling.