• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I6 200 Swap Bell housing & Flywheel Questions

jimmyv65

Greetings and Merry Christmas to all! :)

I am getting back into the Bronco world after a 12 year break. My son is approaching driving age. With that, he and I are rebuilding a 1966. My goal is to keep it an I6 and something that isn't too much of a hot rod for a new driver. The 170 in it is too weak. I am looking to go to a 250 or 200. I found a nice 200 from a 1982 Fairmount. It is a low mile mill. From the fordsix.com handbook, I learned that the 80's i6's switched to the larger V8 bell housing. I'd like to use this 1982 200(minus the pollution crap), but I need to know the impact on tranny stuff.

I've searched and didn't find answers. Can anyone help on these questions:

A) I'll need to jump to the V8 bell housing(for the 80's 200 / 3.3 ). What flywheel and clutch should I go to? Will the same clutch linkage work?

2) The tranny I have is the 2.77 tranny that came in the 1966. What is the 3 speed tranny that will mate to the V-8 bell housing? Will this lengthen my driveline?

4) Anything else to consider like input shafts, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help. As I said, it is for my son. I know the V8 swap is typically the right swap. I am committed to keeping the six and 3 speed for my first time driver.

One final bonus question! As I've been getting back into it, I am clueless on a term I keep seeing: LUBER Best I can tell, a LUBER is a stock height, uncut rig. Am I right? Does it stand for something?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A) don't know. I suspect that the original I6 linkage will work best. Flywheel is a big unknown, you need an I6 flywheel that will mate with a V8 spaced out starter. Trying to think of what of that vintage used a clutch on the 200, maybe an Econoline?

2) should be just fine. Remember that the bad V8 swap includes using the original I6 transmission. So the V8 bellhousing will work on the I6 transmission just fine. I don't garantee no change in length, but it should be minimal if any. Sloted mounting holes should take care of it.

3) I guess that goes along with starting with "A"? Nothing to ask?

4) ever consider looking for an older 200 that you know will work?

OP
OP
J

jimmyv65

A) don't know. I suspect that the original I6 linkage will work best. Flywheel is a big unknown, you need an I6 flywheel that will mate with a V8 spaced out starter. Trying to think of what of that vintage used a clutch on the 200, maybe an Econoline?

2) should be just fine. Remember that the bad V8 swap includes using the original I6 transmission. So the V8 bellhousing will work on the I6 transmission just fine. I don't garantee no change in length, but it should be minimal if any. Sloted mounting holes should take care of it.

3) I guess that goes along with starting with "A"? Nothing to ask?

4) ever consider looking for an older 200 that you know will work?

Good to know on the housing to the 3 speed tranny. That helps.

Agreed that I am tempted to find a 200 that works. The older ones have some advantages and I got a really good price on the 80's one.

I am wondering if I just need the V8 flywheel and work out the lower weight.

As far as A, 2, 4....just trying to be funny. Its from a comedy routine I saw a ways back.

Thanks for your help.

bmbm

i6 swap

Years ago I replaced the 170 in my 66 with a 200 out of about a 79 Fairmont , I think. Some 200's have a low mount starter and some had a high mount. Whichever I got it just bolted in. It was a great little engine.
If you are going to swap now is the time to consider a 250, lots of torque and sbf bell pattern so more trans choices that will greatly enhance driveability. My 250 swap was relatively uncomplicated. A 4 or 5 speed trans will cost more but you get more. Takes some planning for anything like this. The guys on fordsix.com could also give good advice on swapping engines.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Finding the correct flywheel looks like it would be the show stopper.
I would check on fordsix.com if anyone has done a big bell 200 with a manual transmission. See what flywheel they use. Keep in mind it may be a car 157 tooth flywheel that will need a car bellhousing to get the starter in the right place. That will also take a car 10" clutch.

OP
OP
J

jimmyv65

Finding the correct flywheel looks like it would be the show stopper.
I would check on fordsix.com if anyone has done a big bell 200 with a manual transmission. See what flywheel they use. Keep in mind it may be a car 157 tooth flywheel that will need a car bellhousing to get the starter in the right place. That will also take a car 10" clutch.

Thanks for all the help on this. I think you had the best advice originally questioning the value of going to a big bell set up. I decided to pass on this motor. As mentioned above, a late 70's six fits and picks up the advantages in the head that this 80's one had.

I have to remember the goals of this project...a good first truck for my kids. That means I don't want to add a bunch of extra work figuring out the flywheel, etc.

I have some time before I need the motor and can keep watch for one that fits.

Again, thanks to all that gave input. Great advice and knowledge on this site.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
If you still need some parts I have a flywheel, clutch (I think it's a 10.5) and an aluminium bellhousing that came off a '72? 250 that was in my rig. It bolts up to the 289/302 block and the 3 speed and has the high mount starter pattern. If you need more details, ask and I'll research it a bit more.

Jim W.