• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I6 to V8 conversion engine towers

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Need a little help here. The V8 towers I got from JBG are a little on the crude side, especially the passenger tower. I sent it back and asked for a better one but, I almost think they repainted the old one and sent it back to me. If you have done this conversion or know of someone who has, could you post up some pictures please? Thanks.

Bill

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Yes, like those only from JBG and yes they are welded. I meant that they repainted the scuffed up defective tower and mailed it back to me. What I would like are some close up pictures of some already welded in the truck. Thanks in advance. I am documenting all this and I will post it up when I am done.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Do you have the V8 engine yet? If so, do yourself a favor and hook your motor mounts up, bolt the engine stands to those, and lower the engine into the proper position. When it is in the proper position, tack the stands into place. When I put mine on, I just followed instructions. Well, one of them was slightly off and I had to install shims on that side to accomodate.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
That was my plan and my concerns, especially with the passenger side mount. I do have the engine, a gearhead turn key 302.

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
The engine mounts on my 66 w/ I6 were identical to a later model EB tower set.
I actually measured off my dad's 68 U15 frame to install mine. Your transfer case cross memeber should bolt back up to the original 4-bolt holes on the frame rails when completed. If you are careful you can remove your original towers and reinstall. I would also reccomend a certified welder for the job, major safety issues there.

markperry

Bronco Guru
Need a little help here. The V8 towers I got from JBG are a little on the crude side, especially the passenger tower. I sent it back and asked for a better one but, I almost think they repainted the old one and sent it back to me. If you have done this conversion or know of someone who has, could you post up some pictures please? Thanks.

Bill

Another issue with JBG?????????????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
yes, any pictures would be greatly appreciated. also any insight into your conversions would be welcome too. I am slowing progressing with mine, the engine is on a stand in the garage waiting for the oil pan right now. I have rounded up most of the parts necessary, I still need the trans coolant lines and the vacuum lines. Anyone have any insight reference the vacuum line(s) to the C4? Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Bill, you just need to buy my V8 frame or complete chassis I had sitting out.

FordJunky

Loc.
Longmont, CO
Here are a few I took today. I could not get any good pictures of the pass. side because of the long tubes but I could if it would help.

I can get you more specific if you need.

-I cut out the old mounts and ground the metal down.
-Measured a few times then tacked the mounts in and test fit.
-Everything was good so welded them in.
-I will say that after the tranny was hooked up I had to notch the motor mount about 1/2" to get everything straight.
-I have the parts to do the linkages but will be installing a cable throttle instead.

On my 73, the vac line comes off the C4 up along the tunnel to a vac tree off on the back of the intake manifold.

Driver Side
i2kepf.jpg

Driver Top
25kor5s.jpg

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I just did them on my brothers 66 but we already put the V-8 in so can't really take pictures now. We just measured back from the front cross member and welded them on no problems.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
I just did them on my brothers 66 but we already put the V-8 in so can't really take pictures now. We just measured back from the front cross member and welded them on no problems.

What were your measurements? I was going to go with 8 3/4 since my transmission crossmember mounts are sloted and I can move it about a 3/4 of and inch forward or back. On the other hand I should probably just test fit the motor and save myself a headache. My biggest snag right now is finding someone who can come to my house and weld these things in. I don't have a 220 outlet near my garage and most of the mobile welding businesses won't come out for such a small job. Looks like I might have to trailer it somewhere. Thanks for the pictures and the info I will put it to good use.

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
My mounts look like stangy's too.
I bought mine from WH and they're really thick steel that's welded together.
We took measurements from a buddy's bronco and a couple of the local guys welded it in for me. They did a great job.
I was installing an NV3550 at the same time and had to slot that as far forward as possible.
Even with careful measurements the best way to install is like others said. Hoist the engine in there with the mounts on and tack the brackets in.

Do any of your local bronco guys have welders they could bring over? If your shop/garage has a panel in it you could install a 220 circuit pretty easily. It could come in handy in the future.

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
My mounts look like stangy's too.
I bought mine from WH and they're really thick steel that's welded together.
We took measurements from a buddy's bronco and a couple of the local guys welded it in for me. They did a great job.
I was installing an NV3550 at the same time and had to slot that as far forward as possible.
Even with careful measurements the best way to install is like others said. Hoist the engine in there with the mounts on and tack the brackets in.

Do any of your local bronco guys have welders they could bring over? If your shop/garage has a panel in it you could install a 220 circuit pretty easily. It could come in handy in the future.

I have a budy with a TIG but, my fuse box is in the basement and my drier is on the second floor. So, I have to get a mobile welder to come to me or I take it to them. Since I already have the transmission in there I don't want to transport it. So here I sit.

FordJunky

Loc.
Longmont, CO
I put them at 8 7/8"

You kind of have 2 options:

1- Test fit mounts and motor and figure out where they need to go. Mark and clamp it to the frame. Then get a buddy with a torch welder to tack them in place. Pull the tranny (or support it really well front and rear) and take it down to get it welded up solid.

2- Get 220 with a really long extension cord or wire up an outlet. With 220 you get an excuse to get things like a plasma cutter, Air Compressor or a welder and THE best reason of all, now the in-laws can stay in their camper not in the house (maybe that is just me)

OP
OP
Lunar-tic

Lunar-tic

Loc.
Brentsville
Update, bolted in the motor Sunday. Mocked up everything and marked the frame where the engine towers should be welded with a permanent marker after I ground the frame clean. The welder should be by in next couple days to take care of that. Now for another question or two. I don't remember, nor can I find all of them, the torque converter bolts/washer procedures. Is it washer, lock washer, then nut? or just a lock washer and nut? I should have done a better job storing all that. Also, the harmonic balancer on the crate motor won't let me use the orginal longer bolts to attach the pulley in all the holes. If I use three long bolts and one short one (about a 1/4 inch shorter) will that significantly affect the balance? Thanks guys, I appreciate it.