• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ice chest for ProtoFab rear bumper

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I have a protofab rear bumper with swing away tire and Jerry can / ice chest holder.
The ice chest portion is 16"X24" and I am having a heck of a time locating an ice chest which fits!
My Yeti is just about 1 in too large and I am considering chopping the rack which is already powder coated and lengthening it by just enough for my Yeti however I would rather find a nice chest that would fit.
Anybody have any ideas?

-JB

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Only suggestion I’ve got is 13x22 that I use. I’m pretty sure it was a Coleman that they made those for but don’t know if it is still made.

marshall godron

Contributor
You might want to check those out, they're durable and keep things cold for a while.
Check out Cordova coolers they are awesome and they are American made. I don’t have the cooler rack on my bumper currently. Once the sun is up I’ll double check to make sure it fits The carrier is in the shed out back but , I know it fits in the wife’s heep rack

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I spent a while on the Internets last night going over cooler sizes and was disappointed with what I found from various vendors. Everything was either 16.25" or 24.25". There was a Yeti Tundra 50 which would be perfect, but is is discontinued and Ebay has them going for $300 to $900!

I guess I will mod my rack for my Yeti 45, which is about an inch too long. No big deal, just a little steel and spray paint!

THX,
-JB

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Since this was brought up. I think the cooler has been discontinued it was built for. My fuzzy brain says it was a 48qt very similar to this 54qt which is slightly larger than your measurements but does taper at the bottom. It might help someone else with the same question. Whether or not it fits I really don't know.
Vintage Coleman Cooler

I have an old Duff rack that has the same issue, no cooler that fits anymore. I converted it to a hitch rack and my wife uses it to carry gas cans for the mower.

marshall godron

Contributor
Since this was brought up. I think the cooler has been discontinued it was built for. My fuzzy brain says it was a 48qt very similar to this 54qt which is slightly larger than your measurements but does taper at the bottom. It might help someone else with the same question. Whether or not it fits I really don't know.
Vintage Coleman Cooler

I have an old Duff rack that has the same issue, no cooler that fits anymore. I converted it to a hitch rack and my wife uses it to carry gas cans for the mower.

marshall godron

Contributor
ok I went and doubled checked. The Cordova 48 qt base camp cooler fits. Barely but it does fit. I have a few yeti coolers and this Cordova keept the ice retention just like my Yeti. It’s a veteran owned company. And they give veteran discounts.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
igloo here

Attachments

• 274125334_10221364476127471_6720335283762989024_n.jpg
    274125334_10221364476127471_6720335283762989024_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Well since I already own the Yeti and since it was so close I decided to go the mod route.
For tomorrow's run, a ratchet strap will have to do. Next week I will find some square tube, weld it up, and paint it black. It won't quite match the powder coat but it will be in a space of 1 inch or less.

Attachments

• 20240928_122356.jpg
    20240928_122356.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 23