• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ideal wheelbase and width for our EBs?

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I got 92" centerline and 66" outside to outside of tire on my stock 77..

I've measured 70" to 74" for widths on my others..

I've read that 102"-104" is the best all around wheelbase for trails.

What about the widths?>

I know about the variables with lifts, tires, wheel offsets, adaptors, COG etc..

Just looking for input..

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't really say how I like it since it's not done, but I'm 102.5" WB and about 83" outside of tire to outside of tire. It may be too wide, but I've got H1 wheels and will change the off-set if need be later down the road.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on your trails in the "islands" :) Seriously, my white eb you saw in '06 at Victorville is 106" wb and full width 60s front and rear. It has been a pleasure to drive on many trail types. My beater Ranger is 112 wb, full width front and rear ton stuff..... We had it at Moab and it handled the steep stuff much easier with less pucker factor. This weekend it ran a trail called Rail trail in Windrock-you can see some vides of this trail on youtube. There were two VERY steep climbs and I was happy with the 112 wb.
With all that said, most are building 106 and longer on this side of the planet.
Let us know what you decide. I sure it will be a nice rig as always

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Depends on your trails in the "islands" :) Seriously, my white eb you saw in '06 at Victorville is 106" wb and full width 60s front and rear. It has been a pleasure to drive on many trail types. My beater Ranger is 112 wb, full width front and rear ton stuff..... We had it at Moab and it handled the steep stuff much easier with less pucker factor. This weekend it ran a trail called Rail trail in Windrock-you can see some vides of this trail on youtube. There were two VERY steep climbs and I was happy with the 112 wb.
With all that said, most are building 106 and longer on this side of the planet.
Let us know what you decide. I sure it will be a nice rig as always

I am leaving my front end at stock location for now and leaving it as an opportunity for future stretch later. I'm going to see how I like the 102" and if I want longer I've got the ability to stretch the front later.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Thanks guys,
This is the question that I'm working up to.. I got a set of FW axles (HP D44 and a FW 9") that are planned for a build, I got all the hard parts all ready to go and a plan on paper. And then I find a Unimog complete with front and rear axles and my few spares of 9"s that I have..
You see where this is going?
I'll stick to the original plan with the HP D44 and rear 9" and try to build the hybrid mog/9s on the side. Maybe the hybrids mog/9" will go on the yellow77? Not sure..
Which ever I choose I'll want a stretched wheelbase and make sure I got a width that works with the stretch..
Keep the input coming.

madgyver

Terrible disease this bronco thing we have...

Last edited:

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Another thing to consider is how wide can you be and still fit in a shipping container ;D
I am 82" wide and my WB is 92+12+1.5=105.5" I like it a lot and even though the trails are pretty narrow here in the NW I havent had any issues, even on the motorcycle trail I found myself on last time out :-X ;D ;D

Silverhorse

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pensacola
I'm running full width 79' axles and really like the stability. My wheelbase is around 97, I'd like it to be around 104-107. Somewhere in that ballpark seems to be good from what I have heard from others.

1WILD69

Loc.
south range
Wheel base

I am running a full width 60 and love it. As far as wheelbase goes it really matters what your trails are like. I want to be 102-105, and I like a shorter wheelbase.

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
I got an idea on what wheelbase I'm going with axle centerline to centerline.

I'm looking for width outside sidewall to sidewall on fullwidth D60s, D44s or 9"s
and also backspacing on the wheels.. Trying to find a happy medium to work with..

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got an idea on what wheelbase I'm going with axle centerline to centerline.

I'm looking for width outside sidewall to sidewall on fullwidth D60s, D44s or 9"s
and also backspacing on the wheels.. Trying to find a happy medium to work with..

Full width '79 Dana 60 front- 13.5x39.5x17 Krawlers on 17x9 4" bs MRW beadlock wheels- 85.5ish sidewall to sidewall-depending on playing with straight edge on each wheel. That meas. is close... :)
HTH

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I to am going full width I am shooting for 79 to 80" Wide. There are a few trails you can't run if you are over 80" and I think over time you will see more. And if I want a little more I will run some wheel spacers they have came a long way over the years.
Brian

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Full width '79 Dana 60 front- 13.5x39.5x17 Krawlers on 17x9 4" bs MRW beadlock wheels- 85.5ish sidewall to sidewall-depending on playing with straight edge on each wheel. That meas. is close... :)
HTH

If my math is right a 60 is 69.25" long
20." 2 9" Rims
-9" For back spacing
for 80.25 outside to outside of rims

Is that were you are at??

Amac70

ME
my fullwidths with 5.5 bs on my wheels is 82" outside to outside of tire. I like it alot.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If my math is right a 60 is 69.25" long
20." 2 9" Rims
-9" For back spacing
for 80.25 outside to outside of rims

Is that were you are at??

The 85.5 is close-I did not have any longer "boards" in the garage, it may end up being 86-I know back in the day with the 42" TSLs on 15" wheels we always thought we were around 89-90". The Krawlers were still at 9psi when I measured it so that makes a difference but real world none the less.......

bronco60-niner

Loc.
leavenworth,ks
I'm running full width 60 up front and full width 9 in the rear with 38.5 sx's and around 3.50 backspacing on the wheels. Last time I checked sidewall to sidewall I was pretty close to 90. Wheel base is 100" and it seems that the width is fine but having the longer wheel base made the tighter trails a little tougher to turn on but theres a give and take with everything because it climbs and descends waaay better than the stock wheel base

OP
OP
Madgyver

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
So it's looking like 80" is a happy number, keep in mind that I want to stay under the flares or at least close to it... At 74" your basic flares is covering the last thread.