• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ideas for 8274 custom front bumper

BoulderMike22

I’m going to have a front bumper made and am looking for ideas. I plan to do a plate bumper and I have an 8274 winch. I like the new hidden winch bumpers the Duff has put out. I’d like to get the winch down and out of the way of the grill as much as possible without affecting approach angle too much. I have a 2” body lift and 3.5” suspension lift.

Basically trying to get it simplified and hidden so I can get a more classic front end look. Show me what ya got!

This is what I currently have.
6cf2f3f31ef53cbebc8b6eb7eda43b38.jpg

bee8339142dc951d6cd6281d963013d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know what you mean, but it's hard to hide that beast! I tried the same on my crawler, but it's just so tall compared to the other models I couldn't figure out how to tuck it (and keep the grill). I opted to keep the 8274 and let it be a center piece rather than going with a different winch and making it pretty.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Bailie Bilt offers a plate style bumper for an 8274 that meets those requirements about as good as they can get. The bronco in the picture does not have a body lift so it will not sit quite as high on your bronco
image.aspx

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's the Bailie Bilt with a 2 inch body lift.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 207

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Be PROUD of that 8274, because you ain't going to hide it!! ;D

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
While you can't hide it or completely get it out of the air flow there is no reason it needs to be above the frame rails, it can be between them instead.
Also the solenoid box can be mounted inside the engine compartment instead of on top of the winch right in front of the radiator.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
While you can't hide it or completely get it out of the air flow there is no reason it needs to be above the frame rails, it can be between them instead.
Also the solenoid box can be mounted inside the engine compartment instead of on top of the winch right in front of the radiator.

In his original pictures it looks like he has already moved the solenoid box, but you can't move that motor that's behind that box.

reynard101

Bronco Guru
The most out of the way 8274 I saw when researching 8274 bumpers was a Cross Enterprises bumper modded by Nick's Trix (Big Easy Build). Notice the fairlead is beneath the bumper to make it lowww. So, depending on your 4 wheeling, this might work for you.

I went with a Protofab, I spoke with them and they changed the the winch mount to fit an 8274. Bailey bilt is a great design as well. Protofab is local to me so no shipping and supporting local. Both aren't really low. It needs to be high due to the fair lead location, which blocks the radiator a bit.

Pics of Cross/Nick's, my bumper, and an old School bumper that's pretty low and out of the way..

Attachments

• NT_bigeasy_0069.jpg
    NT_bigeasy_0069.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Rambow1.jpg
    Rambow1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Bronco_Dil.jpg
    Bronco_Dil.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 249
  • tuqa3a2y.jpg
    tuqa3a2y.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
OP
OP
BoulderMike22

BoulderMike22

That modded bumper by NicksTrix is the look I’m hoping for. I however don’t want the first thing to hit on a drop is the fairlead. Will have to do some measuring. Thanks for the tips.

OP
OP
BoulderMike22

BoulderMike22

Finally got the custom bumper installed. Design turned out great and it gave me about 60 pounds less than my last bumper, opened up the front grill quite a bit and will give me some better approach angles than my last bumper.

Old-
b2e5ce1cecdc8fb5cb9df6832eb32b6a.jpg

New-
6024b48f152e4bb9c72d252f9b2722c2.jpg

38c935cf090f6fdbf5e3b6f1a31026f3.jpg

6e6b995eb81fc5149e838177ead5fae4.jpg

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I really like it. Any details on who designed and fabbed it for you?

OP
OP
BoulderMike22

BoulderMike22

I really like it. Any details on who designed and fabbed it for you?

Local Colorado Bronco club member. Told me it would be totally custom because he’ll never do another one! Haha.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like it...I bet it was a ton of work. That's the thing about the 8274, you almost need to feature it, because you sure has heck aren't going to hide it.

Did you improve the approach angle or is it about the same?

OP
OP
BoulderMike22

BoulderMike22

I like it...I bet it was a ton of work. That's the thing about the 8274, you almost need to feature it, because you sure has heck aren't going to hide it.

Did you improve the approach angle or is it about the same?

Yah- my hope was to feature both the winch but also wanted to have the grill showing as that’s an iconic part of the early Broncos.

So the approach angle is vastly improved. The bumper is about 1.5 inches shorter from the Bronco and about 2 inches higher from the ground.