• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Idler Pulley Bearing Squealing

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I recently transitioned to the Explorer front dress and used Wild Horses brackets for the driver’s side, including the upper idler pulley bracket. I initially attributed some bearing noise to the original Explorer idler pulley’s age. However, after swapping to a brand new one, the same squeal returned within days. This raises concerns about potential over-torquing or other issues with the pulley installation. Firstly, does it look like I followed the correct installation procedure, and secondly, is there any crucial element I might be overlooking that ensures proper torque on this bearing? I’ve employed a large, flat washer at the front, as visible in the picture, but have no idea about torque specs. Any insights on why I’m having bearing noise coming from this pulley?

09aa2d59b8447090fda6653e7a827a5c.jpg

61f96a3ba4d707a0e93d9eaee08c9f49.jpg

49af04ea93bb5557216fccbba0df7a2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Just to clarify - you replaced the pulley and bearings as a complete unit?

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
OK, just wanted to confirm that. A number of us, myself included, have had the bearings go bad in that pulley and we try to solve the problem by removing the old bearings and pressing in new ones. That doesn't seem to solve the problem - so we buy the entire pulley/bearing assembly and that works.

I wish I had a good recommendation for your situation.

Todd Z.

JKH67302

Contributor
I had the same set up from WH and had the same noise. I too replaced everything thinking it was the bearing and went very OCD with washers thinking it was an alignment issue with the belt. I worked with Morgan at WH (I think it was Morgan, it's been a while), we decided the belt they provide might be a hair too long. I got a shorter one from the parts store and it stopped. I don't have the length handy, but I believe it was the next size down. It's been fine for a year or two.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
bfoldy

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
OK, just wanted to confirm that. A number of us, myself included, have had the bearings go bad in that pulley and we try to solve the problem by removing the old bearings and pressing in new ones. That doesn't seem to solve the problem - so we buy the entire pulley/bearing assembly and that works.

I wish I had a good recommendation for your situation.

Todd Z.

Appreciate the response, Todd.

OP
OP
bfoldy

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
I had the same set up from WH and had the same noise. I too replaced everything thinking it was the bearing and went very OCD with washers thinking it was an alignment issue with the belt. I worked with Morgan at WH (I think it was Morgan, it's been a while), we decided the belt they provide might be a hair too long. I got a shorter one from the parts store and it stopped. I don't have the length handy, but I believe it was the next size down. It's been fine for a year or two.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will say the belt does seem very tight on mine so that hadn’t crossed my mind. Not sure if I can actually get a shorter belt on…It takes some muscle to get mine on even when the tensioner is fully released.

My initial thought was I over tightened the bolt running through the pulley on the first go round so I added the large washer when I put the new pulley on. I erred on the side of over-tightening because I definitely don’t want the pulley flying off mid drive causing bigger problems . Realized I forgot to include a picture from the front.
892585c961704978e2ce68d8e04617b5.jpg

9b5151c30ec5c3960ef5a59637af7ed7.jpg

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
same issue, changed belt and it stopped, the belt that was making noise was an AutoZone belt, went with gates and haven't had any more problems

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The thing that comes to mind is if that pulley should be running a shouldered bolt. That is a bolt that bottoms out without excessively loading the bearings in thrust. I'm talking the original application of the pulley, not the retrofit application.

Looks like the pulley has 2 bearings (one inner, another outer). Is there a solid spacer in there? What keeps the bearings from squeezing together as the bolt is tightened? If it is just the pulley itself, that would be loading the outer races while the clamping force is on the inner bearings. Most ball bearings don't like thrust loads, there are a few that are designed for it but not many.

One of those things that you just have to hold the part in your hand and look at it.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
not the same setup, but I had an issue with my spacing being off…it did eventually make my belt slip off and no noise, but something to check.

And if your belt seems impossible to get on, it might be too tight, also just could be that belt like someone else mentioned. I just measured for size using a strap, then laid the strap out and measured the length of it and found the Goodyear belt that worked:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SPLYPXK/?tag=classicbroncos-20

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
One of those things that you just have to hold the part in your hand and look at it.
Yeah, I would agree with that. It looks to me that the spacer on the back rides against the inner race. the large washer in the front looks like it's up against the outer race. But like Bowsher said, need a better look at it.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
The thing that comes to mind is if that pulley should be running a shouldered bolt. That is a bolt that bottoms out without excessively loading the bearings in thrust. I'm talking the original application of the pulley, not the retrofit application.

Looks like the pulley has 2 bearings (one inner, another outer). Is there a solid spacer in there? What keeps the bearings from squeezing together as the bolt is tightened? If it is just the pulley itself, that would be loading the outer races while the clamping force is on the inner bearings. Most ball bearings don't like thrust loads, there are a few that are designed for it but not many.

Yeah, that washer isn’t right at all!!

I can take a pic of mine when I get home, but the washer should not go all the way to the edges like that…it might be rubbing on the outer portion of the bearing that is supposed to turn causing your noise.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Too tight in there to get a pic, but to explain better, here:

The red outline should not move and the bolt holds it still, which the green outline should be allowed to move and looks like your washer might be rubbing.

1705957144915.png

OP
OP
bfoldy

bfoldy

Contributor
Loc.
Torrance, CA
Absolutely, I see your point on the large washer. Its addition was my decision, implemented as a response to the bearing noise from the roughly 20-year-old pulley and bearing. Probably a dumb move on my part. I'll proceed with removing it and then evaluate the performance in its absence.

Appreciate the help! Will report back in the next few days.

The red outline should not move and the bolt holds it still, which the green outline should be allowed to move and looks like your washer might be rubbing.