• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ignition/ Starting Problems

BroncoinAlaska

Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Having starting issues with my 1977 Ranger. All original, duraspark ignition. Just replaced the ignition wires after finding a few cracks in the original wires. Replaced the wires with new Ford Racing wires. Ran alot better with the new wire, but I noticed the coil was starting to leak. Took a couple of days to find a replacment coil here in Alaska. Installed the new coil, everything fired up just fine. Ran even better with the new coil. Had an excellent test run. Went to go to work the next day and I could not get it to fire up. I am getting voltage to the positive side of the coil. I have swaped to the older coil and it still will not start.

What should be my next steps?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Are you getting any spark at the plugs?
I would suspect the pickup in the dist. If you have a old style multimeter you can easily test it by connecting the leads to the 2 wires coming out of the dist. when the dist is turned the needle on the multimeter should swing If it doesnt then the pick up is bad and you need a new dist. Next possiblity is the ignition module is bad some parts stores can test them but I'd probably just buy a new one its never a bad idea to have a spare.