• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I'm seriously stupid!!!

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
Okay, I have never been known to admit my faults but I need some help. I have a set of Gorilla brand wheel locks on one of my EB's. Well apparently I had a brain fart not too long ago when I pulled one of the wheels off to check my brakes. So, my dumb a$$ left the wheel lock tool on the lug nut and hokus pokus went for a spin. Well, by the time I realized what I had just done it was too late. So, here is my question. How in the HE!! do you get the wheel locks off if you do not have the tool that came with them?

All comments are welcome both for recommendations on getting them off and also to call me an idiot.

Thanks in advance!

royo

Loc.
knox tn
Okay, I have never been known to admit my faults but I need some help. I have a set of Gorilla brand wheel locks on one of my EB's. Well apparently I had a brain fart not too long ago when I pulled one of the wheels off to check my brakes. So, my dumb a$$ left the wheel lock tool on the lug nut and hokus pokus went for a spin. Well, by the time I realized what I had just done it was too late. So, here is my question. How in the HE!! do you get the wheel locks off if you do not have the tool that came with them?

All comments are welcome both for recommendations on getting them off and also to call me an idiot.

Thanks in advance!
do you have the paper work that came with the loc lugs if so there is a number in there that you can call an tell them. its a key code they can ship you a new one if not a old socket an a bfh beat the socket on the lug an spin off

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Wheel lock Depot. com Has a bunch of that stuff. If you can pick out your pattern you can match it up and order one. They have an actual size selection page so you can put your nuts up against the screen and match them up.

Good luck, should be no problem.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
In a pinch, you can drive a tight fitting socket on it with a BFH, then use a breaker bar (not an air gun) to slowly remove it. You don't want to do it all the time, but in a pinch it usually works. Just make sure it fits tight and you don't care about throwing it away when you're done!

OP
OP
4G5

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
I don't have the paperwork anymore for them. I bought them in 1995 and can't even remotely tell you where it is. That was actually the first thing I thought of.

71broncman

Loc.
Woodland Park, Co
x3 on the socket/bfh trick. I worked at a tire shop and used that trick quite a few times. My tool choice is a tight fitting deep impact socket/breaker bar. Mark

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Take a grinder to the face of it and remove the chrome, then weld a lug nut to the face of it and spin it off with a lug wrench. 76mabronco did this with a parts rig and it worked sweet!

12-Pack Jeff

Loc.
La Mirada, Ca
Get one of those sockets designed to removed stripped nuts, you know they are usually oversized and have a bunch of pins in them and you press it on and it conforms to the shape of the object you are trying to remove. I"ll see if I can locate a link. I've seen them at sears I believe.

Grip-Tite makes sockets for this purpose http://www.bt-andf.com/index.php Amazon and sears both sell them. Sears doesnt show them on their website that I could find though.

Last edited:

getfuzzy

I second that about Bax. My wife just came home and wanted to no just why my pants were down and you know what was on the screen.

gabe1974

find a snap-on dealer and buy lsr2500plus. it's for damaged wheel locks and in your case, lost wheel nut key.

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
In a pinch, you can drive a tight fitting socket on it with a BFH, then use a breaker bar (not an air gun) to slowly remove it. You don't want to do it all the time, but in a pinch it usually works. Just make sure it fits tight and you don't care about throwing it away when you're done!

Had to do it this way twice in my life. Works great.

lobobronco

Take a grinder to the face of it and remove the chrome, then weld a lug nut to the face of it and spin it off with a lug wrench. 76mabronco did this with a parts rig and it worked sweet!

This is a great point. I think...as I hadn't thought of it and don't know much about welding! I do a bunch of welding on my own (with no training) and am always looking for the "do's and don'ts". I have seen several posts on other forums suggesting welding a nut to it, but hadn't thought of the coating. Would this cause a problem.

Only ask because I am sure this will happen to me someday ;D

Matt

22213evl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rio Rancho N.M.
jdcone

Had to do it this way twice in my life. Works great

getfuzzy I second that about Bax. My wife just came home and wanted to no just why my pants were down and you know what was on the screen.

Rox CO Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bax
..................so you can put your nuts up against the screen and match them up.................

what kind of crazy ass advice are you handin out these days bax

I don't even know where to start!!!
I'll just leave this one to evil69!!

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
find a snap-on dealer and buy lsr2500plus. it's for damaged wheel locks and in your case, lost wheel nut key.

X2, I have a set, works like a champ

I would avoid the welding technique, burn spatter on the wheels is a possibility.