• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In-Cab dash mounted winch control?

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I’m in the process of doing a bunch of new wiring to support an EFI harness. While I have the dash out and am running new leads to the engine bay, I’m thinking ahead and may want to run some wires for an in-cab dash mounted winch control. I currently use a bank of carling switches with etched rockers. I would add the winch control to this existing bank which is dash mounted within reach of the driver seat. I would use a momentary ON/OFF/ON switch body to command the IN/OUT from the winch control.

The question; is a dash mounted winch control possible and practical? I don’t currently have a winch and can’t speak from experience. I can only imagine hooking up the wired remote and running through to the interior is a PITA while wheeling off-road. But at the same time, holding down a momentary button on the dash while trying to control throttle & steering to get unstuck sounds equally as challenging.

Sooooo I’m looking for input from those experienced with winch control as to if a dash mounted switch would be beneficial.

WN1IO-01.jpg

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Thats a cool Idea but why not buy a winch with a wireless remote? just in case your not the one behind the wheel when your winching? I dont even know where my winch cord is. ANd what happens if your alone would you have to get back in everytime you needed to winch?

Jus some thoughts

Hank_

Bronco Guru
From the winching I have done I would not like a dash mounted control. If we are going to need a winch we will run the line to the winch and through the vent window. It will stay there for the rest of the ride. There are times when you will need to be steering and working the brake or gas pedals. It takes maybe 30 seconds max to run the winch remote cable assy and about the same time to put it away afterwards. You may use the dash mounted switch but for me it would be rare. Hope this helps.

Hank

Scott C.

Loc.
Waynetown IN
I have a momentary on off on switch mounted on the dash in my Jeep and use it more often than the hand held pendant. Very handy!

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Funny the first winch I owned was dash mounted controled (early Warn 8000) and I couldn't wait to get rid of it and get one with the outside control now remote would be the only way to go if possible.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Thats a cool Idea but why not buy a winch with a wireless remote? just in case your not the one behind the wheel when your winching? I dont even know where my winch cord is. ANd what happens if your alone would you have to get back in everytime you needed to winch?
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Having an in-dash switch does not preclude the wired remote from being used. Both would be available, not one or the other. Wireless remote sounds great, although sort of locks me in to a particular winch vendor.

From the winching I have done I would not like a dash mounted control. If we are going to need a winch we will run the line to the winch and through the vent window. It will stay there for the rest of the ride. There are times when you will need to be steering and working the brake or gas pedals. It takes maybe 30 seconds max to run the winch remote cable assy and about the same time to put it away afterwards. You may use the dash mounted switch but for me it would be rare. Hope this helps.

Hank
Yeah this is the point I was concerned about. Seems like it would be easier to hold a remote and push a button, then it would be to hold your finger on the dash while working throttle, steering, gas/clutch/brake, and stick. But the benefit of a dash mounted switch is that I wouldn't have to run the remote for simple snatches and other less complicated pulls.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
Lots of people like the dash mounted stuff and use it a lot.
Mine is kinda dash mounted, my remote is just zip tied to the cage.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
RECON is corded and wireless they are a steal great winch so far and come with braided rope.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
Everything depends on MFG, Model, and production dates but it's not too difficult. The new WARN winches can use the awesome (and fairly cheap) wireless remote control which negates everything else. I have the above switches for dash mount all set up and never connected them since I got the wireless remote.

If you are dead set on dash switched you need to know the type of control box it utilizes. Warn has used several over the years including relays, contactors, etc. There are wiring diagrams out there for each if yo know where to look.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
RECON is corded and wireless they are a steal great winch so far and come with braided rope.

So far there's only x2 that will fit between the frame-rails. The Warn VR8000 and the Smittybilt xrc 9.5, both with synthetic line. I'm sinking this winch inside a custom front bumper (also yet to be built). So I'm limited by what will fit between the frame rails. The control/solenoid box will get relocated under the hood. Another reason why a wired remote is not real desirable as I'd have to pop the hood and dig into the control box each time I wanted to hook it up. Also I'm going to "clock" the freewheel release so that it can be accessed from the bottom since the entire winch will be encased in the bumper and not accessible from the top.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru

Jus some thoughts

i have a wireless remote and so does my brother. we both like them, you can get them on ebay very cheap for about every winch made.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I HAVE ALL BOTH. wireless, and a SWITCH ON MY DASH. I will NOT ever be stranded again because the push buttons on the control went bad or the batteries died in the handheld.

The dash switch is cheap and just about fool proof, as it is wired direct to the controller.

I am normally by myself and the which is there to get me back to camp without walking out for help or a tractor. In the last 30 years of having winches on by 4WD vehicles I have never had a problem with the controller, just the handheld or the wiring connection from the handheld, or batteries in the remote.

The switch will always work and if the which doesn't you have already done most of the trouble shooting just by trying to use the switch.

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I run a 12voltguy dual winch panel (front and rear winches) and that panel is going in my '70 crawler build. Nice complete kit- worth the money IMHO.

As said, I can also run a remote which sits in a storage box on the rig for back up.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run a 12voltguy dual winch panel (front and rear winches) and that panel is going in my '70 crawler build. Nice complete kit- worth the money IMHO.

As said, I can also run a remote which sits in a storage box on the rig for back up.

I too have a 12voltguy panel for my winch and love having the in cab control. By the time you buy the power switch, momentary switch, and LED, etc you might as well buy it from him. Since I installed this I have not plugged my corded control in since, but have the option if needed.

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
I have had both in dash and remote on the same vehicle. Never used the wireless so I sold it. It was a superwinch add on. I didn't wire in a dash switch in my current build but I have a feeling it will have one before long.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I have a momentary on off on switch mounted on the dash in my Jeep and use it more often than the hand held pendant. Very handy!

2X......... Well, except for the "Jeep" part :)'

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
So a long line of rigs with wireless remotes on their winches and one guy uses his winch do the others start running too? Best get a good power kill switch. Then you will need another on-board switch to operate that safety cutoff.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
So a long line of rigs with wireless remotes on their winches and one guy uses his winch do the others start running too? Best get a good power kill switch. Then you will need another on-board switch to operate that safety cutoff.

Actually it has an activation sequence to guard against this issue.

or just remove the receiver.....I don't leave it in place because I don't want to lose it!