• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

In-Cab dash mounted winch control?

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a pic of mine that I found on my phone. I also added a 12V power socket to keep my iPod charged.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 69

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
So a long line of rigs with wireless remotes on their winches and one guy uses his winch do the others start running too? Best get a good power kill switch. Then you will need another on-board switch to operate that safety cutoff.

Does your garage door opener open every garage door on your street when you push the button?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I use a momentary to control in and out with a seperate switch with a shield to "arm" it. I also have the corded controler in the glove box that can be used if I desire. I've used several of the wireless units and do not like their function at all, both Warn and Ramsey.

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
If it weren't for my PTO winch, my electric would have an "arm"ing switch in the dash. Winches are wired hot. a good bit of anger and someone "could" throw your cable over and attach it to your rear hitch. One well placed paper clip or wire jumper and you've been folded. OK, its a stretch, , , , or is it?

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
If it weren't for my PTO winch, my electric would have an "arm"ing switch in the dash. Winches are wired hot. a good bit of anger and someone "could" throw your cable over and attach it to your rear hitch. One well placed paper clip or wire jumper and you've been folded. OK, its a stretch, , , , or is it?
I'm going to run one of those heavy-duty disconnect plugs regardless. I'm paranoid about the solenoids getting wet or weathered and mysteriously triggering at any time with a constant supply of power. You search pirate and there's posts of folks who've experienced this and the winch takes the bumper along with it as it retracts to implosion. I figure if you only use the winch while wheeling, I'll leave it disconnected the majority of the time.

images.ashx

Mountain Ram

Contributor
Recovering Masshole
Loc.
Abingdon, VA
I will have to check that our on P4x4.. I have been wheeling for years and while I guess it is possible for it to get stuck with power, I have never seen it.

I'm going to run one of those heavy-duty disconnect plugs regardless. I'm paranoid about the solenoids getting wet or weathered and mysteriously triggering at any time with a constant supply of power. You search pirate and there's posts of folks who've experienced this and the winch takes the bumper along with it as it retracts to implosion. I figure if you only use the winch while wheeling, I'll leave it disconnected the majority of the time.

images.ashx

bludorbronc

While you are at it ,wire the fast idle circuit so you can turn on when stuck on a hill driving a stick.

OP
OP
xcntrk

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
While you are at it ,wire the fast idle circuit so you can turn on when stuck on a hill driving a stick.
OHhhhh tell me more about that! I have a brand new fancy auxiliary idle control cable setup from JB Customs but I'm hesitant to install it since the unit is huge and I don't have a good solution for 2 pull cables at the throttle-body. So what exactly is the fast-idle circuit? I have a MT tranny and clumsy feet and really need an idle bump in certain trail situations.

Edit: I started a new thread concerning this question.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252256

Last edited:

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
RECON is corded and wireless they are a steal great winch so far and come with braided rope.

Nyles, I didn't realize we had the same Recon winch. Having both options on controls does make it nice.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma

images.ashx

With most modern winches the chances are pretty low, older ones (especially Ramsey's) the soleniods were engergized all the time and just needed a ground. most modern winches the solenoids need both power and ground to function. I've used those connectors before, they are handy, you can use them for other things too like jumper cables or a Ready Welder.

bludorbronc

There should be a cylinioid on cold start that kicks the idle up when cold and then drops away when warm, all you have to do is find a powersource that is hot when the key is on and run a wire from there to the fast idle sylliniod with a toggle switch in the middle to break the voltage. Then mount the toggle somewhere handy.