• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inherited 77 Bronco

jaybird29

Loc.
NC
Newbie here. My wife inherited her father's 77 Bronco (302 auto) that he purchased new. The bronco has not been driven in almost 10 years.

My plan is to replace tank and check fuel lines, replace plugs, rebuild carb, distributor to get it running, then go from there on suspension, etc.

Is the 77 gas tank different than 66-76's?

Please let me know if I missed anything, and any advice is welcome. I plan to restore back to stock.

Also it appears its locked in 4wd Low. The hubs do lock/unlock freely. Since its not running, can I jack up one side to get it out of 4wd Low?

thanks,
Jay

House

Contributor
Minutia Militia
Sounds like a fun project. 10 years isn't too bad. Your tanks should be OK with just
cleaning, but who knows. Try to save as many original parts as possible. Usually the
main plastic fuel lines live fine also, just need replacement of the rubber lines.
It will be much easier to get it out of 4L once you get it moving. Just unlock the hubs
if you want to move it around in 2wd...

66broncoCT

Contributor
Loc.
Torrington, CT
Yes the 77 gas tank is different. I don't think anyone makes reproductions of them. Its plastic so unless it is split at a seam/leaking it should be salvageable. I would dump the gas out toss in about a gallon of fresh gas and a handful of nuts and start shaking. I've only done this with steel tank but should work for plastic as well. Keep rinsing until the stuff that you dump out is clean.
For the 4low issue, yes you should be able to jack up a front wheel if it has an open differential and get it to unbind and shift. But being an automatic if you shift the transmission into neutral there shouldn't be any bind. Might be the J shifter acting up. Or it could just be the gears aren't lined up. If that's the case you need to lock the hubs in and jack up a tire and spin it by hand while someone tries to shift it.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
A lot of things to consider when one has been sitting for that long. Keep an eye on any and everything rubber ; they have a tendency to leak and crack after sitting and then being used.
As far as the motor goes ; when you have the spark plugs out squirt some oil into the cylinders and turn it over - " by hand " . When you have the distributor out and after changing the oil , use a drill and a ' driveshaft" to turn the oil pump shaft and relube the internals - hard to over do this . Then before you actually start it and with the sparkplugs still removed turn the motor over using the starter = hard to overdo this also.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Like all the rest have chimed in. Rubber parts, Brakes, I had to dump the tank on my dad's 77 also. The gas had a really nasty smell. It was sitting almost 20 years. Bad fuel pump. Rebuilt carb. I will be pulling motor and tranny to go thru them and replace gaskets & seals so it is no leaks and dependable. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
J

jaybird29

Loc.
NC
Like all the rest have chimed in. Rubber parts, Brakes, I had to dump the tank on my dad's 77 also. The gas had a really nasty smell. It was sitting almost 20 years. Bad fuel pump. Rebuilt carb. I will be pulling motor and tranny to go thru them and replace gaskets & seals so it is no leaks and dependable. Hope this helps.

Were you able to use the original tank?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
Were you able to use the original tank?

Yes I am using the original tank but I had to replace the fuel pickup and the skid plate, I got my stuff from Bronco Graveyard only because the shipping was cheaper because they are closer.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Definitely check your rubber brake lines. I just replaced the original lines on my ‘77 two years ago. I didn’t know how bad they were until I pulled them off. Hoses on both tanks will probably need some attention. Every 77 I have owned has had a leak at the auxiliary tank filler hose at some point.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Welcome! Everything said above is spot on, you'll find great help here. Also consider that a bronco sitting for ten years covered is different than sitting ten years uncovered, and sitting ten years in Florida is different than sitting ten years in NM or AZ :) We'll be awaiting pics! :cool:

OP
OP
J

jaybird29

Loc.
NC
Thank you all for the feedback. I will post pics asap. I know it needs a passenger fender. Thankfully its been under a shed out of the weather for the most part.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
If your tank has a leak, well, folks here can give you a hand with, "rare" type parts for a '77. Like I have a '77 tank off my truck collecting dust if you need.

OP
OP
J

jaybird29

Loc.
NC
If your tank has a leak, well, folks here can give you a hand with, "rare" type parts for a '77. Like I have a '77 tank off my truck collecting dust if you need.

Thank you! I cant check until it stops raining from this hurricane. I will let you know for sure.

Jay