• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inherited Bronco

polpilot

Hello,

First I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Justin, I live just north of SLC Utah, near Hill AFB. I am active duty Air Force, 12 years now.

Now for the important part, I inherited a 1972 Bronco from my Grandfather who passed away in 2001. My Grandmother gave it to me like 4 years ago but was stationed over seas and didn't have a way to get it. so about a year ago when I moved back to the states I went to pick her up. This was my first time even seeing her since before he died in 2001. It was being stored at a family friends land in northern Arizona. So it sat for about 10-11 years untouched. I bought a trailer and winched it up on the trailer to get it home.

Once home I pulled the top, cage, seats and took it to a car wash to spray out the rat turds and nests. let me tell ya, there was a lot! I inspected the wiring and 90% of it was good, which was a surprise. A couple spark plug wires and a box that controls ignition had been chewed up. I replaced the plugs, wires, coil and that ignition box (that wasn't easy since I didn't know then that the 302 motor was out of a '75 bronco, a little different set up) changed the fuel hose to the rear tank (dry rot) and drained the old fuel and put new fuel in it, rebuild the 2 bbl carb and she fired right up!

Once I got that figured out I got to work on the inside. The drivers floor pan was rusted thu so I cut it out and planned to weld in the new one but couldn't get to fit right and I'm not great with welding yet. So I took it to a body shop and had it done. Then prepped and sprayed the inside with raptor liner. Oh I also picked up a pair of seats out of a WRX. Don't like the stock one for wheeling. And I swapped out the drums for a set of disks in the front. That's pretty much where I am now.

I'm currently deployed, and when I get back I am going to put in a brake booster in and add seat belts. I am still on the fence about the carb, I cant get it to run right. I've thought about having someone look at the carb for me, or saying screw it and swap the intake for a 4 bbl and putting an EFI set up on it. haven't decided on that yet. thoughts?

Anyways that's is.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the best damn site on the net.

You have made a lot of good decisions so far.
I think swapping to a 4 barrel intake and carb is a great idea. There are a couple throttle body fuel injection kits out there that folks are starting to like more than the
GT-40 oem set up.

Lots to learn here.
Get good at the search function.
Or....just type your search into Google along with classicbroncos.com added to it.
Have fun. You are doing fine.
Oh and thank you for your service.

OP
OP
P

polpilot

Here are a couple pictures, 35s.. I have 3.5 wild horses front coils I picked up cheap. Not sure if I want to use them or not, they look beefier and longer then the ones on it now. How big of lift do all think I have?
3b992df870bcaec380d32e42b9abdd0b.jpg

d171676557b5deab482c76021659a1a2.jpg
2bd86efc967e3b10d812a977f5206cce.jpg
411e1a155faf5f64451489b8c784ec68.jpg
69478bb2fc62322dec856894ec4d53f1.jpg
a7344c98cb32d98b698030cb3aaffbdf.jpg

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
Thank you for your service sir!

And welcome to the Bronco website, you're in good hands here. I'm confident everyone else will appricate your story also.

It sounds like you're fixing it up and making the best use of it. Grandpa would be proud....hell, I'm proud for him :)

OP
OP
P

polpilot

I posted some pictures, but I guess cuz im a newb someone needs to approve it. lol

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you have power steering or are going to add it you should give a serious look at a hydroboost system instead of a vacuum brake booster.

There are some fans of the various TBI type fuel injection systems, and they can be simple to add, but a Ford SEFI system has some other advantages to consider.

And welcome to CB :)

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
Welcome to the best damn bronco site on the net. Also thanks for your service! And sorry about your Gramps too.. Good luck with your new Steed come home safely.

70_Steve

Old Guy
How big of lift do all think I have?
In the front, measure from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame. 7" is stock. In the rear, same type measurement, and most consider 6" to be stock, but could be 6" or 7" depending on GVW.

wegngis

Loc.
Oregon
What carburetor do you have in it? My '68 has the Autolite 2100 in it. I've tinkered with it enough to where I feel competent with it, but by no means an expert. It's been running great lately, although I probably should have followed a friend's advice long ago and just taken it to a shop to get it adjusted right to begin with. But, if I did that, I wouldn't have the knowledge I have now.

OP
OP
P

polpilot

I believe its the stock motorcraft 2 barrel. I'm think it just needs new jets, it moved from phx to slc... 3221 ft elevation difference.

Last edited:

dmplatt

Thank you for your service, welcome to SLC, and welcome to the club!

richea33

Swing by the POL tank farm on 6th street anytime you see my red 71 parked outside. I've owned it since 1984 and can shed some light.

75302auto

You have landed in the right place on this site. The folks here are more than willing to help you work out whatever details you could ask about. Now that you own your grandfather's early bronco, it's like Hotel California, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. lol!
Thanks for your service and welcome!