• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inline 6cly gas mileage ?

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
A broad torque curve has everything to do with it. Lower rpms for a given speed is useless if there is not enough torque to sustain speed even on slight inclines. My son's Mustang is a stock 200ci I6 C4 and 2:80 gears. While it will get 24mpg, it is 1500lbs lighter and more aerodynamic. Add in free rolling street tires and I can't compete with that, even though I have roughly 60 more hp and a really broad torque curve. Really wanted to do a NV3550 swap, but can not make the overdrive useful till speeds higher than it will ever get driven. Even then, it is highly improbable I could reach more than 18mpg. It's a great little engine, but it is what it is. Won't even get into the expense aspect.

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
I just want to say is that I did build this exact motor. It was a 200 with a 86-87 mitsubishi 2.6/4 turbo,and yes it was undersized but it was free. It was set up in a 65 mustang w/4speed.

Performance wise it when from 21 second qt miles @ 62mph non turbo to 15.50@ 90mph turbo. Fuel ecomony was 21-22@ 65 non turbo to 30 @ 75-80 turbo.

Again I want to point out that at 75-80 the boost pressure gauge was showing 1" vacume,which would not be possible without the turbo. At this point the turbo was creating artificial atmosphere inside the motor, it was positive pressure but still showed vacume on the gauge.

When I built this set-up I didn't no this was going to happen,but afterwards you kinda bench race the idea with friends and you find out this is what the trucking industry has done for years.

Back then my technology was stone age with fuel injection and better electronics today it would be fun to see whats possible

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
I just want to say is that I did build this exact motor. It was a 200 with a 86-87 mitsubishi 2.6/4 turbo,and yes it was undersized but it was free. It was set up in a 65 mustang w/4speed.

Performance wise it when from 21 second qt miles @ 62mph non turbo to 15.50@ 90mph turbo. Fuel ecomony was 21-22@ 65 non turbo to 30 @ 75-80 turbo.

Again I want to point out that at 75-80 the boost pressure gauge was showing 1" vacume,which would not be possible without the turbo. At this point the turbo was creating artificial atmosphere inside the motor, it was positive pressure but still showed vacume on the gauge.

When I built this set-up I didn't no this was going to happen,but afterwards you kinda bench race the idea with friends and you find out this is what the trucking industry has done for years.
Back then my technology was stone age with fuel injection and better electronics today it would be fun to see whats possible
Don't doubt anything you've said. Problem comes when putting that same engine in a Bronco.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Don't doubt anything you've said. Problem comes when putting that same engine in a Bronco.

X2
not to mention that a good running stock 200 in stangs can pull 28mpg So your increase in perfromance numbers dont mean much. just means your previous tune was poor and the turbo helped.

broncojon68

Loc.
Cobb,Ca
Wow... first the Super duty should see 15-19 if not check for low boost probably caused buy exhaust leaks to the rear of the turbo. The two small up pipes. If you are not making 25 psi minimum at load then you are wasting fuel. My Super duty makes 30 psi and can get 24 on freeway 17-19 hear in the mountains with 300k on the clock and its long bed 4door. Second is the 300 6 will likely make better fuel economy due to more power per pedal position just as a 5.0 mustang can often see 25 mpg on flat freeway. The 5.0 in my early bronco easily averages 17 hear in the mountains mostly do to the 4.88 gear and 37 tire allow the engine to run easily down the road with little pedal position. I think if I ditch the irok's I would see 18-19.

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
My stock 66 flirts with 20 mpg on the highway

170 with 3 on the tree, autolite 1100 carb and DUI distributer--235 75R15 APT tires

Above 60mph mileage starts to decrease

OP
OP
coupe66

coupe66

Loc.
Cedar Park Tx
My stock 66 flirts with 20 mpg on the highway

170 with 3 on the tree, autolite 1100 carb and DUI distributer--235 75R15 APT tires

Above 60mph mileage starts to decrease

LOL ;D
I didn't think this would turn into a political rant.
But it was all interesting to read. :cool:

Thanks NC-Fordguy for just answering my question.