• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner door latch assembly.

Heehaw-bronco

The inner door latches on my 71 are pretty well trashed. I've cleaned them up and messed with them until I'm blue in the face. I've decided to start looking at the junkyard for used ones. I've looked on the web for cheaper new ones but they're all pretty expensive. What other vehicles did ford make the same year that would have compatable latch assemblies? Any one know where I can find the best price on on a set of new ones? These things are driving me nuts! Thanks.

Heath Hall

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Try a Bronco dismantler like Driven 4X4 parts. Their ad is at the top of the page

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Ultimately, the inside handle just pushes (or maybe pulls) a rod connected to the latch at the back of the door. Anything that duplicates that action will work as an inside handle mechanism. Take a close look at your originals - they use a small lever on the paddle that rubs sideways along another lever to generate the proper motion in the rod, which is really high-wear/high-effort/high-friction/low-sense. I put Mustang/Maverick inside handles in Frank's truck (along with custom door panels), and they work perfectly.

Regardless what handle you choose, this mod is worthwhile:

OP
OP
Heehaw-bronco

Heehaw-bronco

Ultimately, the inside handle just pushes (or maybe pulls) a rod connected to the latch at the back of the door. Anything that duplicates that action will work as an inside handle mechanism. Take a close look at your originals - they use a small lever on the paddle that rubs sideways along another lever to generate the proper motion in the rod, which is really high-wear/high-effort/high-friction/low-sense. I put Mustang/Maverick inside handles in Frank's truck (along with custom door panels), and they work perfectly.

Regardless what handle you choose, this mod is worthwhile:

Awesome mod. a little above my skill level but cool!