• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Inner Fender Idea??? Possibly Body Squeak? Help

idus25

Loc.
St. Louis
So I have a new tube bender, tube and a bunch of crazy with as much time on my hands. Found these on another thread. Love the idea. Have already cut up the radiator support and moved rad section out toward the inner grill as much as possible. Inner fenders need to be cut as I want to add extended length shocks for my new full width axles. (3.5 Duff lift). Want to tie in the outer fenders, rad, and coil and shock mounts. However, I fear body squeak because if I attach to the frame it will make more rigid, thusly canceling the poly body bushings. Thoughts??

What about mounting radiator tube mounts to the body mounts and possible a rubber pad/isolater where I want to run the fender tubes up to the cowl???

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.JPG
    IMG_1576.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1591.JPG
    IMG_1591.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1615.jpg
    IMG_1615.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 98

yakelys69

Im no expert but this is how I think of it.

In general I don't think having shocks mounted to a structure that has leverage & is connected via bushings at the frame is a good idea. I would think it would constantly flex back and forth, eventually getting sloppy and possibly trashing your fenders

in reality it would depend on your final design.

I think it's similar the debate on how to tie a cage into the frame. Many ways to do it with many opinions and experiences but boils down like this.
  • Cage is solid mounted to frame; then use solid body mounts
    • reason: with bushing body mounts things will flex differently and will work harden the sheet metal then it can rip. Also whats the point.
  • Cage is mounted to the frame with bushings; then keep your body mount bushings.
    • reason: isolates vibration and noise

I've read about it done every way and someone will say it never was an issue and they never had any problems.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
IMO your main flaw is that the front is mounted to the frame and then the rear the body. With attaching shocks etc. to that tube you should have went back down to the frame in the rear and left the body out of the equation. You are going to get major flex from the attachment point that is connected to the body.

yakelys69

The original design (amazing build) was a complete solid mount.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194976&page=11

1397114d1406300858-inphobics-early-bronco-rebuild-rehash-img_1975.jpg

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Build your shock mounts independent of the front clip tube then tie them together with a cross the motor bar.