• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing Window Chrome - ARGH!

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
There has to be a better way. What's your trick to installing window rubber chrome?
Do you install the longer pieces first or last? I've found they are the most challenging. They want to pop out at the the end of the line.
I always use painters tape to hold the trim to the frame and weatherstrip, but always seem to need an extra helper when installing in the top.
Tonight I was thinking it might be easier to run the chrome into the weatherstrip with glass on the living room carpet (glass won't slide on me...in theory). What are your tricks? I can't believe how long this always takes, but I love the chrome when installed.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Can't help you on that one. I hate installing it with a passion!!! Interested to see if anyone has some good tips.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
WD40 and a hook tool to spread the rubber while you push the trim.

Oh that sounds dirty.

66Bronco

.. weatherstrip on to window, trim into weatherstrip, then install window into truck

The above method worked for me. I sprayed the heck out of it with a Silicon spray. That helped the trim pieces go into place. I found I had to be very careful with the corners using the TBP seals. The Dennis Carpenter liftgate seal I also used didn't seem to have that problem.

-Terry

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Back in and ready for winter. The living room carpet helped a lot this time (glass won't slide as you push the chrome). I might have done that with my last set, but thought it was the kitchen table (man, I have an understanding wife ;) ). But getting better as I come prepared knowing they will take some time. This was the first set I used a little lube down the channels. It did help. I used Tri Flow I think. It's a basically a bicycle Teflon lube that doesn't eat rubber. I used very little though. They slide pretty well without.
But like the others said - get your weatherstrip on the glass then do the chrome. I started with one of the side pieces then did the longer of the horizontal pieces. Once they are in, use some painters tape and tape them to the glass and weatherstrip. Tape the corners good and run a strong diagonal piece towards the inside of the glass. When all taped, run your clothesline in the the back channel, soap it up with spray bottle and mix of dish soap and water. Set the glass in the window opening. Tape it loosely to the hardtop with your painters tape and your can pull it all installed yourself. I miss summer already. ;D

broncobilly72

Liquid detergent will lube the metal so it slides in easier. After your done, wash off leftover with water....no mess and every thing is clean!