• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Installing windshield.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I have only done it on the truck but you need a helper to steady and lightly push on the glass. I cant see a path to doing it off the truck as you will spend most of the time building a jig to hold the frame steady. Its easier to glue the mirror button on with the windshield down.

RonJones

Contributor
Pretty easy to do on the vehicle with the frame tilted forward. I put foam rubber on the glass to push it aft, and did it by myself:

Attachments

• 866E5039-54EF-4BB6-BCB9-349478C2D165.jpeg
    866E5039-54EF-4BB6-BCB9-349478C2D165.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 74

68Broncoz

Contributor
I did mine on the vehicle, couple good videos WH and others. Use Windex works well.

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
I have used dawn dish washing soap on the gasket and a long string in the gasket pulling it over the metal lip of the frame.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Did mine by myself. Probably took a total of 30 minutes. Assembled the seal, trim, and glass on a table. Lubed it up with silicone. Put a 3/16 inch cord in the groove. Set a blanket on the hood. Put the glass assembly in the frame. Started at the bottom and pulled the cord in each direction.

Don’t fret over doing it by yourself with the windshield frame in place. Mine popped right in.....one beer job.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Deft. look at the glass carefully, I had two that were bad , flaws in the glass that I noticed after it was installed one was a wave in the glass even thought the outside was smooth, the next one the same thing. But at least I looked at tit firsts before installing
Got them from a local glass shop..

ngsd

Bronco Guru
I did mine with frame on truck. It cant be that hard then! But I had my teenage daughter help me carry it and hold in place until I pulled the string through. Pretty easy.

1970 Palmer

I've done a lot of rubber seal glass installs on VW's over the years. Basically the same as the EB glass I just installed.

I have tried many lubricants and have settled on using Honda Motorcycle spray polish. This product is available at any motorcycle accessory store. It stays slippery, and does not dry out like dish soap or Windex. It cleans up easily when your done by just wiping it, no streaks. It is used for cleaning the bugs off of motorcycle windshields, and helmet visors. It safe and does not hurt any plastic, or painted items. It's a great general cleaner product for the shop.

John

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
use straight dish soap. use a wire instead of a cord the plastic jacket over the wire lets it pull smooth.

SP73

Yup, always a good idea! ;D

^^^^Bwahahaha! Sure is!

Anywho, I did mine myself off of the vehicle. Easy peasy. Never done one before. Only reason I did it off the truck was because it was already off. I wouldn’t hesitate to try it with the WS frame mounted though.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Always use a new seal don't try to reuse an old seal. My lessons with super beetle windshields taught me that lesson the hard way.