• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Insuring a bronco

Marsh

Hello,
I'm trying to insure a fully restored 66 bronco. It will be driven regularly and I have no garage. All the clasic car insurers seem to have a garage requirement and mileage limit. So I'd be looking for regular car insurense, but I don't want it insured for blue book value. Has anyone figured out a way to insure a bronco for it is worth restored, about 30k.
If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.
Thanks

gray gables

mine is insured up to 25k and cost me about 200 a year. But it's also registered as a antique meaning I only drive during the summer.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Check with your personal insurance company for a standard policy and add GAP insurance to it. You will have to prove its value, not hard to do with receipts etc. I have a folder I am dropping all receipts into. I will probably go into shock the day I pull them out to add it all up... Lol

Major Tom

Contributor
my 66 roadster is insured as a classic with an agreed value of 25K. costs me $100.00 a year

OP
OP
M

Marsh

Check with your personal insurance company for a standard policy and add GAP insurance to it. You will have to prove its value, not hard to do with receipts etc. I have a folder I am dropping all receipts into. I will probably go into shock the day I pull them out to add it all up... Lol

Thanks ill give that a try.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Im gona try State farm for a antique policy. Its a agreed value policy and the only stipulation is 2000 miles a year. Of course ill have to flip the odometer back once during the summer but its cheep.

I gota get a few pics of my bronco so they can send it in to the underwriters.
This is my last email from them......
Attached is the Valuation sheet that I will need back along with the pictures. I ran some quotes for you and to insure it for the value of $15,000 it will be $ 13.40 per month, $ 20,000 it will be $ 14.41 and for $25,000 it will be $ 15.88. all with a $500 deductible on each comp and collision. Please let me know how to proceed

The bronco is my only vehicle that I have insurance on so they probably wont like that. Might have to put my daily driver car in my name, so "I" can insure it, so I show another vehicle as my daily driver. They don't like you driving your antique or classic for anything other than car shows and such so when you fill out the form say its 90% shows and 10% to mechanics shops and test drives.

I had a regular ACV policy last summer for like $150 for 6 mo. But that's kinda rollin the dice. So if the underwriters ok my policy its actually about the same price per year for coverage that will actuall pay what my bronco is worth.

Im gona try state farm because them other classic car company the guys love to brag about have way too many stipulations. Expecially the garage one. My bronco is in the garage in the summer when I drive it but in the winter it goes out in a harbor freight portable tarp garage for 6 months. Plus I don't have another vehicle in my name so that's another stipulation of them other companys.

Last edited:

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Just be careful....
ACV is actual cash value which means in the event of total loss they pay your ACV which is gona be like 3 grand.

Stated value is what you say its worth....but in the event of total loss they pay you stated value or ACV whichever is less. This policy is for those who wana save some money by insuring a vehicle for less than its worth. For instance you get a 100,000 dollar lamborginie from a dead relative but you only wana insure it for 50,000 to save money. If its totaled you get 50,000 instead of 100,000. But yor alright with that because the car was a gift anyways.

Agreed value is what you want. In the event of total loss you get what you and the insurance agreed on. No if ands of buts.

Ksm

Bronco Guru
Safeco Insurance is the only one I've found that will insure a classic car without a garage (And I spent months calling different companies). But for agreed value you need an appraisal. For the appraisal I was quoted anywhere from $100-$575 so shop around when it comes to deciding on who does your appraisal. I went with the $100 and it was accepted by the insurer.

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
I have mine insured with AAA at stated value for about $300/ yr.
One recommendation I can make is go with $100 comp and $500 coll. Usually the difference in premium is $15-20/yr. Compared to $500 for both. Comp is theft, vandalism and damage not caused by a collision. I hit a rabbit in our other car ( this big jack was the easter bunny!) that caused $1500 damage and I thought I would have a $500 collision ded. But they said it was comp so only $100.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

broncomikem

Try American Family. Thats where our insurance is and all I had to do was get a appraisal done by a local shop restoration shop and submit it and it cost $17 a month or $204 a year for full coverage on a $20000 value for full replacement. There are no mileage limitations and I was told that it can't be used for racing or off road competition

Broncofan76

Loc.
Atlanta
I jiust went through this as well. Mine is insured with full coverage, good limits and a $500 ded. I think i pay like $400/year. This insures it for blue book value but if I can provide comps, receipts, and an appraisal, they are willing to deal on the payout. The other option is, as mentioned, a collector car policy that has a bunch of stipulations and rules around where its parked and how many miles etc. my best price was with statefarm.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I'm In same boat. No garage

But usually if you fight the ins co they have to repair or replace the vehicle

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
..Well now I'm wondering what I have.. Mine is $73.00 every 6 months.. State Farm.
I think mine just keeps me from getting sued .. I think I have to man up an cover the rest.

OP
OP
M

Marsh

I found insurance through a broker with safeco, only restriction is i can't drive it more than 5,000 miles a year.

scottbr997

Loc.
Bend, OR
I went through USAA and they team up with American Collectors. Agreed value $20k stored in garage for $100/year.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Key to any restrictive policy is not committing fraud.

Very easy to do... garage isn't locked, taking the kid to the soccer game instead of a Bronco club mtg, wheeling off-road... etc

Just tossing it out there since an Insurance Co will check this stuff out before paying out 25K for a claim... just saying...had a buddy come close to having problems a few years back...

My brother worked in insurance claims for over 20 yrs..

bronco t

Contributor
Loc.
San Diego CA
I put mine on my Farmers policy and my agent accepted a "stated value" of $25k, and I pay $250 per year. They limit me to 10,000 miles per year, which is no problem for my garage queen!