• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interchangeable Font and Rear driveshafts?

707Bronk

So I went down to the driveline shop during lunch to drop off my driveline to get it shortened. He said he would add a 1/4" to compensate for the additional 2.5" of lift I will be putting on in the fall, and that suspension lifts do not have a huge impact of driveline length especaially ones with CV joints.

I talked to him about interchaning driveshafts for my rig (remember, my front was only 5/8" longer than the rear), and he said I could probably get away with it using the standard spline length. But recomended that since I have to shorten or extend them anyways that I fit each one to its proper length and carry a spare setup for the rear (most likely to brake) that could also be used temporarily in the front.

He said this would work for me being that the front and rear are so close to being equal length. Chuzie would probably be better off setting each one according to thier measured lengths. And if you wanted you could make a spare that is part way between the two, probably favoring the front since it is longer. From what I learned from the guy, for instance if your front is 2.5" longer than your rear, making a spare that is 1.75" longer than your rear would be good tradeoff and allow a spare that could be used "temporaily" for the front or the rear to get you home.

He also said that there is far more extension than compression especially in the front, and that he could make shafts with spline lengths up to 16", wihch would mean 8" compression and 8" extension. This is only for obsene amounts of suspension travel. If you have to get shafts made, you could always get extended splines, this way they would truly be interchangable because you would never run out of extension of compression in either case. He also noted that unless there are obsene amounts of suspension travel that the shafts do not extend or compress very much than a 2" for compression and 3-5" for extension.

My driveline should be finished tomrorrow. $72 to shorten and balance. Then I can rig up a temporary exhaust and get it to the muffler shop, then my 7 month semi-restore is back on the road!!!

One controlling factor for the front is the lenght of the radius arms. Unless you have extended radius arms there is only so much your front suspension will flex and should limit the amount of extension in your front driveshaft.

Hope this helps. If I learn anything tomorrow I will let you know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chuzie

chuzie

Bronco Guru
Wow. Good info! Long splines are the key but they also have a tendency to wear prematurely, especially when used at highway speeds. I will certainly mention all the stuff you learned to my guy and come up with a plan. Thanks for taking the time to research and educate us.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2