• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interco SSR/tire help

rtj731

What are your opinons, on the 35x10.5R15LT interco SSR, still looking to purchase a decent tire. Any help on this matter,several events comming up I do want to participate in. All ready looked at getting 37 Iroks, to big for my lift, have been searcing the net for different tires, want to go with a name brand and proven brand so I wont be sorry (can't afford to go wrong here) I have new set of 33 BFG MT (5) but want, need more ground clearence. Willing to cut the sheet metal but can only go so far. Any help help on what you have spent your hard earned moines on, trying to prevent the wish I had done that...

Thanks -J

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not exactly the same but I am running 35 X 12.50 X 15 SSR's. They handle and run very smooth and quiet on the highway for a bigger heavy lugged tire. I have been very happy with them...Haven't done much offroading but the few times around home (no rocks) they did very well.

Good luck with your choice.

Dan76

I think 35x10.5 would look a little pizza cutter to me, maybe you like that look? Im running 35x12.50 goodyear MT/Rs I was looking at Irocs, and TSLs but found an awesome deal on almost brand new MT/Rs. Anyway they are a good tire but it was a tossup between them and Swampers! What size lift do you have?

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I am not convinced that the intercos are as good as BFG or Goodyear. My buddy has a tire dealership and he is not totally sold on interco. Hopefully enough people running interco will chime in.

la77

Loc.
Alexandria LA
I Have Run Many Different Tires And Seen Many Different Brands. The Regular Tsl's Or The Radials Are Hard To Beat Offroad, Mud Or Rocks. Not Very Impressed With The Iroks On Rocks When Wet Or When In Mud. The Ssr's Ride Good But Don't Do As Good In The Mud Compared To Regular Tsl's Or The Radial Tsl's Due To More Closed Pattern But Should Do Fine On The Rocks Or For More Road Than Offroad. Seen Guys Get 40,000 Miles Out Of Ssr's And Tsl Radials Seen Less Miles Out Of Mtr's And Bfg's. Just My Nickle Worth

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
SSR's were the worst tire I have EVER run offroad. They balanced ok and ran pretty good on the street but even cutom groved I could never get the same traction as everyone else offroad.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My brother ran a set of 32x11.5x15 SSR's on his '85 Toyota for over 40,000 miles. Other than slicing somewhat easily on wet rocks, they wore pretty well and did decent on and off road. No fun on icy roads, but not a lot of mud tires are.

OP
OP
rtj731

rtj731

Thanks for the replys, guess I'll keep looking. I'm happy with the BFG MT but wanted to go up a size or two. It seems most are running 35s, if I had purchased 35s to begin with, would I now want something bigger? I currently have 3.5 SL 1" BL and cage extended r-arms. It runs great with 33 BFGs but lacks the clearence to crawl over the big rocks. Locked front and rear. If only I could find that magic tire size. Again Thank all of you.
See ya out there.
-J

cruiser

I cant say for tread wear or off road hookup but I just traded mt 37"MTR's for the 37" SSR's and there is a big difference in girth! the rubber is way more stout on the ssr's, in fact im kinda concerned with the weight at almost 100LBS a tire vs. 70LBS a tire!

6daze

I run 35 x12.5 SSRs and love them. They are great on the street and awesome offroad. They dont air down as well as the BFGs do (no big sidewall bulge) but I have always had plenty of traction with them. 10 inches is a pretty skinny tire. Depending on what you are doing you may want to go a little wider. Just my opinion.

Attachments

• break.jpg
    break.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 22

cruiser

skinny tires look WAY better than fatties, I wish I could get a 37x10.50 or 11.50%) and they perform better in 90% of conditions in colorado anyway (no mud or sand)

OP
OP
rtj731

rtj731

Main reason I was looking at a 10.5 is turing radius and keeping them off of the rear inner wheel wells when stuffed, althrough a 12.50 is most likey the direction I'll take. Any suggestions on a 36x12.50r15?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
SSR's do just fine, tx1ton has run them on his GoJo rig for years, and dome some pretty sick stuff.

Going wider isn't always better, if you like the 10.5, run it. Bigger footprints aren't always the answer, and can sometimes be a hindrance. Proper tire placement with the aid of a good spotter on the trail, and you'll never miss the extra girth.

Interco's reputation is stellar. They do not target the street crowd so much as they do the off-road folks (they're coon asses, born in the mud, go figure) They've brought a couple of new radial all terrain offerings to market in the last couple of years, one very recently, and they show a lot of promise.

I am absolutely not impressed by the MTR. It's a one-trick-pony, with a lot of hype behind it. I've had more failures with Good Year than any other tire manufacturer, hands down, and they're not worth a damn if the trail gets a little slick. The poor sucker running them will spend the duration of his trip on the end of a winchline.

BFG's are still pretty good, but, as mentioned, the sidewalls do get cut when you air them down. I've run several sets, and had excellent results with them on and off road. I'd love some red label Krawlers, but they're out of my budget grasp, so I'll stick with Interco's.

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
maybe its just location/terrain for the SSR's 'good' off-road qualities? I mainly ran Paragon/Rausch/Tellico. When I switched to IROK's the improvement was 100 fold.

If I were to do it again I'd seriously consider M/T baja claws. Two guys in our group run them and they are the only thing I have seen work better than my IROK's(so far-for me anyway- and with out going to a $400 comp tire! ;@) )