• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Interesting experience at Sam's Club

Unknown

Contributor
These crazy policies just really mean these stores don't want your business. Discount Time almost pays me to shop there, crazy great service, always says yes, always thanks me for my business and fair prices to boot. I used to be a Sam's customer, but last time I just walked through to look - scrubby grab ass kids working there didn't even know how to spell BFG!

TN1776

Bronco Guru
For years I have been buying my tires online (tire rack, summit, and Amazon are my usual), and when I receive them I toss them in the back of my truck and go to Walmart. Never once has it been a stock sized tire but they mount and balance on the spot for their cheap price that includes lifetime balance/rotation. Maybe its different if they sell you the tires? Who knows. I too am in the overly litigious state of California.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

take the price quote you got at Sam's down to any Discount Tire store and they'll match it and probably mount them for you. works for me every time and Discount has dandy mount and balance service.

Good to know thanks.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

Thanks for all the replies. I am still amazed that a store doesn't want my $1000 for 5 new tires. I will definitely go to a discount tire or shop online it is just sad that stores are so f'd up that they would rather have you walk away than sign a waiver and have your business.

turbotim2

The funny thing is - was there ever a truck that took 35x12.5x15 inch tires as the stock size? Yet they still sell the tires.

Last edited:

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Bought my General Grabbers at TireTown here locally. They never batted an eye about mounting them up & wanted to know all about the truck. After I swapped my axles to upgrade to 4 wheel discs and air lockers the calipers were a lot closer to the rims and whacked most of the weights off the rear rims. Took them in and had all 4 re-balanced for $16! Much better off going to a place that only does tires & alignments.

greatguy57078

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I highly recommend Discount Tire Direct. I have looked around and not only do they have the best price, they always ship for free. One thing that I have learned is this. DO NOT pay the online price. If you call them they will dicker with you and always come down even further.

Another great thing is they will ship them to wherever you like for free. I just ship mine straight to the local tire shop. I later found out from an employee of theirs that they even buy their tires from DTD! :p

broncosam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to have a 95 F-250 S-cab 4X4. I have been a Sam's club member forever it seems but never checked their tire prices. A buddy told me about their prices on tires so I went to check it out. Anyhow, the F-250 came with LT235-85R16 tires and I had been running LT265-75R16 tires on it for years. I wanted a set of BFG AT tires for it and Sam's club was almost $200.00 -$300.00 cheaper on a set of four tires than any place else in town that I could find. They sold me the tires and mounted, balanced and put them on the truck but I did have to sign some kind of waiver stating I was aware that I was having a non-standard tire put on my truck. Damnest thing I ever heard of.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
I actually ran into this with Tire Rack. They would not allow me to order 295/50-17 for the rear of my S-10 pickup because those tires did not match the weight and speed rating of my truck. It did not matter it was a custom truck, they just said sorry we cannot sell them to you. I had no problem ordering the same tire from Discount.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
We have the same problem here in MN/WI at a place called Fleet Farm. The litigious thing is contagious. Waivers are worth approximately the weight of the paper they are written on. All they are good for is you acknowledging you are doing something that is not stock. They do not absolve the tire place from any liability as any person cannot "sign their rights away". I will have this same problem when I go to put tires on Elmer.

billd987

I can almost understand a business' consideration of liability, but geez these guys are stupid. They could least offer you the option of signing a waiver to release them from liability or something

Waivers are absolutely worthless in CA(or maybe most states for that matter). Pretending they did mean anything could one also get the waiver of anybody who is going to potentially ride in the vehicle or in a car next to the vehicle?

Insurance companies can exclude certain actions on their liability policies due to claim experience. It's very possible some companies are starting to exclude mounting out of spec tires from coverage.

It's not the best answer, I know, but people being responsible for their own choices and actions went out the window long ago in the Golden State.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
I actually ran into this with Tire Rack. They would not allow me to order 295/50-17 for the rear of my S-10 pickup because those tires did not match the weight and speed rating of my truck. It did not matter it was a custom truck, they just said sorry we cannot sell them to you. I had no problem ordering the same tire from Discount.

assume you were ordering online or by phone from T.R., how did they find out what truck the tires were going on? I'd probably say none of your biz, just send me 4-295/50-17s. It's kinda like telling U-Haul that you want to put a Bronco w/35s on one of their car haulers. never works...