• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Internal Beadlocks

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Mark Troy said:
anybody running internal beadlocks?
These look great.
Sounds like a good idea.

http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php

I haven't run them personally but I've heard mixed reviews from people running them. They're a great idea but due to the difficulty to install them I think they get a black eye for failures that are more a result of installation and handling rather than actual operational failures. There were some anti-Staun threads on the PBB when they came out...apparently some felt that their customer service was lacking.

You might check out Hutchinson's internal beadlock or the H1's as well for DOT double beadlocks.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I'd give my eye teeth for a set of Hutchinsons. Those wheels are the awesome-est!

I dig the concept of the Stauns, I'm still torn though. For the cost of the Stauns, I can almost get MRT beadlocked wheels. What's a fella to do?

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
http://www.rockmonsterwheels.com/products2.htm

p42514c.jpg

They're crazy expensive at ~$400 each, but they're super strong, look great, and are very well respected.

Oh yeah, they're also DOT approved!

crawln68

Bronco Guru
I've heard mixed reviews about the Stauns as well. It's a great concept, but there have been some failures due to chaffing between the inner tube and the inside of the tire. Couple that with the customer services issues and I decided to go the H1 double beadlock route. And I love them!

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Years back I remember seeing the kevlar bags to keep the bead on and also if you tear a tire you don't loose air pressure. I really liked the idea as I always tear tires but the price when they came out was to high to pay for.
What happened to those? Where they a failure also?

UNCLEBEN

Loc.
Boise, Id
I think most of the problems were with the "second air" internal beadlocks the Stauns are suposed to have solved the problem.
I dont have any first hand experience with these, but I realy like the concept.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
68 Broncoholic said:
Years back I remember seeing the kevlar bags to keep the bead on and also if you tear a tire you don't loose air pressure. I really liked the idea as I always tear tires but the price when they came out was to high to pay for.
What happened to those? Where they a failure also?

I remember seeing an article on them a few years back, no idea what ever happened with them either...?:?

67ster

Bronco Guru
Few Drag racers and NASCAR guys still use an inner liner type bead lock system . Although they are not as effective as a mechanical type they do offer some protection from sudden puncture deflation and spinning the wheel inside the beads under heavy acceleration . Most drag racing guys used to sheet metal screw the beads to the wheel but most tech committees demand mechanical systems on pro classes.If you catch photos of a top fuel slick at 300+ MPH you would see why .