• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Internal or external pump?

rcs72

I'm getting ready to buy a new gas tank to complete my SEFI conversion and was wondering what everyone's opinions were on the internal vs external pump issue is? To me it looks like the external pump costs more in the long run.

B

bert

Are you planning on just the main tank or are you using the aux. tank also?
BCB web site has a diagram in their tech section for using two tanks with a external pump. It requires a supply pump as well.
If you are running just the main tank, the internal will work just fine. They are a pain to replace when they fail.
The Ford trucks use a pusher pump in each tank and a main pump on the frame rail.
I am in the planning stages of the same conversion. I think I will use BCB's idea.

OP
OP
R

rcs72

I'm going to run just the main tank. It will either be the WH tank w/internal pump or the BC tank w/external pump & accumulator. Which pump is more reliable? What pump would I need for an external?

Trigger

rcs72 said:
I'm going to run just the main tank. It will either be the WH tank w/internal pump or the BC tank w/external pump & accumulator. Which pump is more reliable? What pump would I need for an external?
If you run the external you will need a standard electric pump to pull from the the tank, an accumulator then the high volume pump. I have a holley red electric pump for the supply pump and for the high volume I have a MSD pump from Summit Racing, part # msd-2225, it runs $76.95.
Trigger

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Low pressure fuel pump AC Delco (Carter) EP247
High pressure fuel pump Borg Warner (Walbro) EP7109
6 way EFI electric fuel selector BC Broncos
EFI fuel filter/ accumulator BC Broncos
I've had good results with twin tanks and this setup.
edge

OP
OP
R

rcs72

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just use the WH EFI tank($519) than installing two pumps, accumulator, & new tank? Is one way more reliable? Thanks for all the input so far.