• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Considering upgrading to 17" wheels (internal beadlock)

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I have wanted to upgrade my older 15" champion beadlock wheels for quite some time, but as you know, this is an expensive endeavor! So, I am looking at options that aren't $500+ a wheel.

My idea was to find some 17" wheels that have a sacrificial (replaceable) rock ring, but were not traditional beadlocks. Then I can run some internal bladder style beadlocks and achieve my goals for cheaper. However, I am not finding anyone who makes these wheels within my budget. I DO NOT want steel wheels or flimsy rock rings. Anyone know otherwise?

In all honesty, I have never lost a bead on my Champions and go down to 9psi most the time while wheeling pretty hard. So that brings up another option...find some 17" beadlocks 2nd hand, but my guess is these are like hens teeth. I haven't come across any yet.

Still running 5 on 5.5" lug pattern.

Thanks!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
in my experience, I'd just get a regular set of 17" beadlocks. I've used a couple of different inflatables, never lost a bead as long as we didn't pop them. the only real issue was once we ran them, we couldn't get air out of a tire with it inflated, which means we couldn't check the pressure of the tire either, this was with both companies that we partnered with, one was orange and the other was green.... they were a maintenance nightmare to the point it was one of the few times that we broke ties with a marketing partner (sponsor) over the issues we had running their product. I think they are fantastic in theory but a PITA in reality. They do hold the beads on though. We gave them a second opportunity because we liked what they brought to the table but at the end of the day it wasn't worth it.

Suck it up and just buy the wheel you like LOL I know it sucks but we only live once :cool:

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Method makes a new style wheel called Bead Grip... They have an extra couple ridges on the internal bead, i believe on both sides. They look to be a little over $300 per wheel

https://www.methodracewheels.com/collections/bead-grip-wheels

Here is the video i saw, how i found out about them. Its a good channel, and a pretty informative video about putting the wheels through the paces.
I am familiar with those, but I can't stomach scrapping them up the first rock run I do. No rim protection on those.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
in my experience, I'd just get a regular set of 17" beadlocks. I've used a couple of different inflatables, never lost a bead as long as we didn't pop them. the only real issue was once we ran them, we couldn't get air out of a tire with it inflated, which means we couldn't check the pressure of the tire either, this was with both companies that we partnered with, one was orange and the other was green.... they were a maintenance nightmare to the point it was one of the few times that we broke ties with a marketing partner (sponsor) over the issues we had running their product. I think they are fantastic in theory but a PITA in reality. They do hold the beads on though. We gave them a second opportunity because we liked what they brought to the table but at the end of the day it wasn't worth it.

Suck it up and just buy the wheel you like LOL I know it sucks but we only live once :cool:
I'll explain further. This was in professional rock crawling competition car, where things are pushed beyond comprehension. For the average wheeler, that isn't a 1 percenter that breaks 300M axle shafts on the regular, they are probably fine, I just have not experienced that in my history.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I can't remember if it is Method or Icon that has a dozen bolts that go through the wheel radially. They make a protrusion behind the tire bead that keep it from slipping into the wheel. But doesn't actually clamp the bead. The only wheels I have seen like that, all other bead locks are axially bolted.

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE

36Fan

Contributor
Search the desert racing crowds for 17" beadlocks, you'll have better luck there.

I would be interested in your Champions if you sell them depending on what style and size they are.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Search the desert racing crowds for 17" beadlocks, you'll have better luck there.

I would be interested in your Champions if you sell them depending on what style and size they are.
That is a good idea. I don't follow any desert racing groups, but I suppose I should start.

I won't have a use for my Champions, so I will likely sell them. I don't expect to make any changes in the next few months.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Hutchinson rock monsters lock internally. No rock ring for wheel protection though. They are also heavy which can be good depending on what you are doing.

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Hutchinson rock monsters lock internally. No rock ring for wheel protection though. They are also heavy which can be good depending on what you are doing.
They are some amazing wheels to be sure, but as you say, no protection and $775ea!

OP
OP

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Had a local deal pop up that was too good to pass up. Got these from a guy who only ran them on a street bronco, and for very little at that.

Plan is to sell the tires (35's) to help fund the purchase of 37's.
ABLVV84NNpOJWKP7cM8-0YbpWkjVDMZFrVEywrUWNX9iWxGVtH2HxYKdxySDp9UNsBTG3LmiwgV-kxYp9--DdPJBxmVYOgDymx4d7vXpycE5M19Vm9ShA2x_ks7DZuy7CZ9KJlnFcQKzRaKr2tcDzHBa7zKO_w=w640-h753-s-no-gm

ABLVV8729TDY2JW2SBvv-CtshM7FR3v-yuO81NXbjUyrYn36HrIHkb4TSnMUnN9OiAg02FrAi-8WhJ8-dXkNrIQcbRH0Ho5vJsrV9Nh7mnMewnwDUSdA10CBmUrQZQcbPGPzxWBytMz1XmBl6LXIIbif51kb5A=w1590-h753-s-no-gm

I am sure it will be a slow process in acquiring the 37's, but at least I am making ground!