• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is it safe to tow a rig with 37" tires using a tow bar?

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Well, long story short, I might not end up selling my bronco after all, and now I'm going to have to get it all the way out to Austin (5 hour drive). I have 37" tires on it and I'm just wondering if it is safe to tow that with a tow bar behind my Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi?

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I had a scary towing experience with mine. I had towed it with no lift and 31" tires on interstates at 65mph with no problems, then I lifted it 4.5" and put 35s on it and went to tow it 100 miles back down the same road and it went into a out of control swinging back and forth and I almost lost it. I guess it was from the higher center of gravity, softer coils, and bigger tires. I slowed down and went 55mph with no problems. I say pull it, but stay 55 or slower. Make sure you disconnect the rear drive shaft.

broncobliss

Loc.
Half Moon Bay
I don't see or know many people flat towing their Bronco, but I do have friends flat towing their Jeeps with 36's and 37's. My personal experience with towing like that is every vehicle respods different. Interested to follow this thread to see what others say

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
What about strapping one to a Uhaul car trailer? Will those things cut it? Because I can just turn it in when I get there to the local Uhaul and not have to worry about bringing it back

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
U haul car trailers are great!! ...I WOULD NEVER EVER USE THEIR ..TOW BARS....TRAILERS. YES....BARS....NO WAY..

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I tow mine all the time behind my 40' motorhome. Most cases I remove the rear drive shaft. Short distances I'll leave it in. I have 35" tires and it's a daily driver. It steers and handles great on the highway and has almost no bump steer.

If you can comfortably drive your Bronco at highway speeds, there shouldn't be any issue flat towing it. That's been my experience. If this is a one time thing, the U-haul is definitely the way to go. My buddy just rented one for the Bronco Safari in Moab. The trailers have surge brakes, when you flat tow you are required to have supplemental braking on the towed vehicle. A good thing to have when flat towing with a 1/2 ton pick up.

Mark

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
U haul car trailers are great!! ...I WOULD NEVER EVER USE THEIR ..TOW BARS....TRAILERS. YES....BARS....NO WAY..

Are there places on those trailers to hook up ratchet straps? I'm pretty sure there's no way those dinky little stock straps they provide with the trailer will fit over the 37s.

I'll have to strap an "X pattern" over the front and rear axles.

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
u-haul trailer is great! i rented one when we bought our eb in pueblo back in january and hauled it back. you WILL NEED to use different straps. i used the ones on the trailer and hooked my ratchet strap on it to "lengthen" and fed my strap right through the ratchet on the trailer. worked great! the tail chain was barely long enuff but i used a strap on it as well. 3 heavy ratchets will do fine. no movement on our 9 hour trek....

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
i just got done using a uhaul full size trailer to get my bronco back, the ratchet straps they provide should work, they also have extended ones for larger tires available, but there are places you can attach your own straps, the price between the full size and the FWD/bar trailer are minimal go full size, there are chains to secure both axles.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Measure the inside tire width and outside tire width and make sure the trailer you rent will fit the Bronco. I use to tow my Bronco behind my motorhome on a tow dolly thats another option.

76MaBronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Massachusetts
I flat towed mine behind a 34' motorhome. It had a 2" body, 2-1/2" suspension and 33's. Towed like it wasn't even there. I don't think I went over 70 though.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have seen a very nice 50's buick balled up behind a pickup that was being flat towed. I pulled an International pickup with a tow bar that decided to turn left in a right turn (at about 5 MPH thankfully). Policy on company cars is you are not allowed to flat tow another vehicle (but you can tow anything else you like). I am not a fan of tow bars. The back of a half ton truck is pretty light and the nose of a Bronco has some serious ability to push it over, especially when you don't want it to. Having good caster is a must. I only consider it when the tow vehicle weighs enough that the tow bar isn't going to really be able to move it (motorhome comes to mind).

Trailer is best. The supplied straps will be too small. You will have to make your own work. It has been done before. This way you also have (trailer) brakes behind you, something you don't get with a tow bar.

OP
OP
hollowch

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
Trailer is best. The supplied straps will be too small. You will have to make your own work. It has been done before. This way you also have (trailer) brakes behind you, something you don't get with a tow bar.

That's a good point, I never thought about the trailer brakes. I think it's become obvious that I should forget flat-towing and just go with the Uhaul full size car trailer. I'll try to find one with the oversize straps and I'll also have to bring a few of my own for extra support. Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Airborne69

Loc.
Moorpark, CA
Be careful when you pick up the trailer from U-haul. Tell them that you are towing a little wrangler or something. They wouldn't rent me a trailer for my bronco when I was towing with a diesel f-250 2-door. You can look up their rental specifications online. Its all about the weight difference between the vehicle being towed and the truck you are pulling with

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That's a good point, I never thought about the trailer brakes. I think it's become obvious that I should forget flat-towing and just go with the Uhaul full size car trailer. I'll try to find one with the oversize straps and I'll also have to bring a few of my own for extra support. Thanks everyone for the advice :)

Good luck man.........

Tuck

I had mine on a uhaul trailer with just 32s & the strap was too short. I aired down & it helped. I also used a set of stock size wheels/tires on the front once & swapped them back when I got it back home. Funny that uhaul is picky about how you use their trailers, but the equipment that comes with them is crap (straps/wiring, etc.)...seems to me that's more unsafe than towing a Bronco on it.