• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is mine longer than yours?

pinenuts

Loc.
Hereford, AZ
I am wondering if the dip stick in my c4 is too long. My truck is a 76. It is my understanding that the C4 should hold 11 1/2 quarts. I have been told that the torque converter holds about 5 1/2 qts. That leaves 5 1/2 qts. for the stock pan. I have a B&M pan that is supposed to hold 2 additional qts. so I it should hold 7 1/2 qts. When I dropped the pan to replace the gasket, I put 6 quarts back in and it shows as being way over filled on the dipstick. My dipstick measures 26 in. from the tip to the top flange/cup. I am checking it hot with it idling in park. So, is mine longer than yours, or am I wrong on my assuptions?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is also the oil inside the transmission valve body, pistons, servos, etc. that you are not accounting for.
That 11½ quart number is probably a bone dry rebuild fill value.

Running with an overfilled transmission can be desasterous. If the oil get up into the gear set, it gets beat, overheats and cooks the trans. I probably need a little refresher, but I believe the correct fluid level is just above the pan gasket.