• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is there a do it all Donor vehicle out there?

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
I am wondering if there is such a thing as a Donor vehicle that can do it all. I was thinking if I could pick up a 1973-1979 for F-150 with a 351, automatic, power steering, and disc brakes, I could swap all those parts right into my Bronco. The 351 wouldn't be the decide all, but I don't know how many they made with a 302. I am looking for a cheap (well cheaper) way to get into all the great mods, and I was thinking if there is one vehicle out there that can give it all... even better. Does anyone know what transfer case came behind the automatics in that year range?

Thanks,

Dave

OP
OP
DebosDave'72

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Also, I was looking at a power/disc brake set up. I am wondering what the problems are with a newer F-150? Did they stop putting the D44 up front after 1979? What are the problems with the all these parts from a 1994 F-150? Thanks,

Dave

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D If you want a 351W you will need to go 82 up on the trucks to find that one as 78 to 81 used the 351M not a good bronco motor. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
Just find another EB with all the goodies already installed.

OP
OP
DebosDave'72

DebosDave'72

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bozeman, MT
Look at this one... what are the problems with it? I could sell the plow for almost $1000, and then have all the other goodies, will they work? If not, what are the issues? This one even could give up the EFI. Was thinking of taking the tilt steering wheel for the tilt and the automatic linkages... Just an idea... wondering what are the problems with something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988...4597486685QQcategoryZ6219QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks,
Dave

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Simple answer is No.

You can get the disc brakes off the 70ss but they used a ram type powersteering on the early 70s stuff and the 78/79s will need to be modified to work on the eb. None had 351W in them, that didn't become a truck motor till the 80s lilke wildbill said.

As for the 80 through 96 f-150, yes they did have dana44s but they were Twin Traction Beam setups. The only parts simular to a straigh axle 44 is the internals in the diff, hubs, rotors and calipers. If you do the all ford brake swape you can use the hubs, rotors and calipers off of these, if you do the cheby, you cant use the calipers.

Hope this helps.

Grunt1058

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Land of Entrapment
I'd say ALMOST but, the trucks are few and far between. And you'd still have other parts to searh for.

If you found a mid 80s F250/F350 with a 351W and a ZF, you'd get a good solid front axle, a good rear axle (Both Full Width). The front will already be setup for disk brakes. The tranny has a granny gear.

but, you'd still need a power steering/power booster for your new brakes etc.

Best bet... Find an EB that's already setup the way you want it. Say... A 76/77 with aV8/ Auto/ PS/ PDB /D44f /BB9"r and build it from there.

Kinda like Madgyver said above... :D

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
not cheap or easy but a complete 96-01 explorer with a 5.0- could use everything from the harmonic balancer to the end of the trans- also the 8.8 inch rearend with 31 spline axles and disc brakes is as good or better than some our stock axles-- right now I have the explorer belt system on a carbed crate motor with a C4 trans on my uncut driver- of course the crank sensor computer system with the computer controled trans would be much more complicated but I believe somebody has done it

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sure, I've basically done that with mine. 76-79 F-150 or 78/79 Bronco with 4-speed(T-18 or NP-435)/NP-205. To be accurate, my '69 'could' have been done all from the one donor but for that fact that I opted for the 8-lug disk outers off an F-250 on my front housing and used a D60 from an F250 in the rear.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
wildbill said:
;D ;D ;D If you want a 351W you will need to go 82 up on the trucks to find that one as 78 to 81 used the 351M not a good bronco motor. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

The 400 is a great EB motor. ;D