• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is there a way to get 9" Axle Bearing off at the Junkyard without a Press?

reynard101

Bronco Guru
Is there a way to press off the 9" axle bearings at a junkyard without using a press? There's some backing plates/caliper mounting brackets that I've got my eye on at a local U-pull it, but I don't want to drag the whole axle shaft home nor do I want to pay for the axles that I'll never use.

I was thinking that I could cut the axle, but I don't have a cordless cut-off wheel or sawzall. I've got a hacksaw, but I don't really want that type of workout nor the time involved. I doubt the U-pull it would be happy that I'm cutting up stuff either.

Or am I screwed and I just need to cough up the extra dough to get the axles and caliper mounting brackets home?

dnewman9

Bronco Guru
I have cut several off, you just have to get 3/4 through the bearing retainer and they will pop. Once they are popped you can pound them off pretty easily. You might be able to use a chisel but that's still allot of work.
Dennis

Amac70

ME
Is there a way to press off the 9" axle bearings at a junkyard without using a press? There's some backing plates/caliper mounting brackets that I've got my eye on at a local U-pull it, but I don't want to drag the whole axle shaft home nor do I want to pay for the axles that I'll never use.

backing plates and caliper mounts are not mounted on the axles shaft. pull the axles out of the houseing all that stuff should fall right off.

OP
OP
reynard101

reynard101

Bronco Guru
backing plates and caliper mounts are not mounted on the axles shaft. pull the axles out of the houseing all that stuff should fall right off.

For a Bronco yes, but this is for the rear disc brakes off a 78 Lincoln Mark V. I should have stated that... sorry. I've got one set of Lincoln axles in my garage right now with the caliper mounts - nothing is falling off of them. I'll look at them again but I don't think they'll come off without getting the bearing and retainer off first.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
harbor everything made in china freight sells a neat looking internal and blind hydraulic press, it can reach in behind the bearing and you use a mini hydro jack that pulls it our...

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
harbor everything made in china freight sells a neat looking internal and blind hydraulic press, it can reach in behind the bearing and you use a mini hydro jack that pulls it our...
be dam careful, before you go getting anything hydraulic inside the pull a part, the ones up here will chase your ass off the property if you get caught using a Jacking or hydraulic device
Only pry bars and battery operated tools allowed,,, they can run you out of there for life. legal issues

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hacksaw will nit cut the bearing, might polish it a little.
Best luck is to shatter the bearing. Be careful, those bearing pieces EXPLODE when they let loose. you will need the super BFH.

I am hoping that you can get the brackets off with just the outer bearing removed. If the inner needs to come off as well, then it is probably best to cough up the money and get the axles. Maybe try and ask if you can get a refund on the axles after you get the brackets off, even if there is a restocking fee.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Just cut the axle shaft. I've been to a lot of pick and pulls and watched people destroy al kinds of parts to get a bolt they could have bought for $1 at the hardware store.
look at the ground around the cars there motors ripped apart, trannys ripped apart ect all for one little part sometimes that part is bad when they open it up and have to go find another. Cutting 2 axle shafts that nobody will want or know what they came out is no big deal I doubt the yard will notice. Some yards might pull it off for you.

OP
OP
reynard101

reynard101

Bronco Guru
I tried banging and beating on the axles I got at home. No go. Got the outter bearing off but it still wouldn't come off. Ended up just cutting the axle off on the chop saw.

Went to another yard today and I asked them what tools were allowed. Said no hydraulic or pneumatic tools, no body saws. Only battery operated tools. Said it was due to liability issues. I'll see if they have a press or torch that I can use.

broncorick

Axles pull out easily with a slide hammer once bearing retainer plate removed on ford 9 inch rear ends. Axle is retained on shaft. Then simple to remove brake parts and a lot easier than cutting.